Philip Wessels
Philip Wessels,
Experience:  owner at point zero
106201380

My key fob for my merc 220 won't worn I have changed battery

Customer Question

My key fob for my merc 220 won't worn I have changed battery for followed instruction to reprogram in just say key inistuating but does nothing HELP
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have changed battery put ke held buttons and followed instructions bet it comes up with inistuating key then nothing HELP
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Don't take the money until you have sorted the problem please
Expert:  Philip Wessels replied 2 months ago.

Hi - My name is ***** ***** I will try and help you today...

Have you followed this process exactly :

Instructions on how to sync Mercedes remote:

Insert the key into the ignition. Quickly remove keyfrom ignition and within 10 seconds hold down the lock button. Continue holding the lock button, and at the same time press, the unlock button five times. Next release all buttons and press the gate/trunk buttonone time.

If you can answer a few questions for me it would help me diagnose a little better:

- Did the FOB suddenly stop working and is that why you replaced the battery?

- Sometimes it could be a hardware fault, i.e disconnect battery wiring or some other physical damage - was the remote dropped or did it get damaged ?

- Does the little red led light flash when you press the FOB ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No it is the spare key to car it just sits in drawer I thought I would get battery replaced cos it did not never been dropped I was told put it in the ignition for 10 seconds hold the lock press open button 5 times then the tailgate button once it then says on dash initiate key then nothing

Ok no problem. Lets dig a little further...

Have you been able to look at the fuse box which should be in the boot ? I am not exactly which fuse it is but it would probably be number 7 or 8 fuse (7.5A). If you could check if it is blown please ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry £16 quid for a call I a bit steep you might not fix it

Sorry - that is the automated system requesting the call - I am happy to continue messaging like this so no worries

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Fuse is OK I have one key that works
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I tried that it come up on key being initialised please wait then nothing

Ok - have you tried resetting the vehicles ECU ?

If you want to try then disconnect the battery Negative terminal first - then Positive

- wait 5mins

- Reconnect in reverse - positive then negative

This will only reset the ECU and hopefully try and reprogrammed your FOB.

Please let me know how that goes ?

Does the red LED (on the key) go on when you press the lock/unlock button ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have got a key that work send I have took battery of is did not work

- please can you kindly reword the last message as I am not certain what you mean ? :)

I would just like to know if you press the button on your key (after replacing the battery) does the led light on your key go 'on' when you press it? This is to try and eliminate that the new battery is not fault.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Battery was fitted at merc dealer

Yes ok no problem and I understand - but when You press the FOB button do you see a red led light come on ? I need to know this to help you further. If there is no red light then there could also be a hardware problem.