sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I have 54 Vito 115 travaliner It is refusing to turn over

Customer Question

I have 54 Vito 115 travaliner It is refusing to turn over the battery is fine when it does start it stays in second gear and will not Rev over 3000 can you help?
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: No not checked the brake switch
JA: What is the model of your '54 Mercedes?
Customer: Vito
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried to reset the ecu
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Gear box was working fine before fault
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 7 days ago.

Hi, my name is Jose Sebastian, your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.

I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Dear customer, do you have any indicator lit?
Also i'd like to know the mileage and what are the last service and maintenance you did to your Vito?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Yes service light is lit mileage is184000 last service 1 year ago

Dear customer, have you done a diagnostic so far looking for error codes?
How did you do the restart of the ECU?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Tried ignition on 2 then brake pedal leave 2mins then restart

Dear customer, let me explain what you are presenting in itself is not a transmission problem what you present is known as a limp mode activated by Mercedes-Benz when the computer receives a potential dangerous error code for the operation of your Mercedes.
Basically what you are presenting is a problem at the computer level because one of the sensors of the vehicle is detecting an erroneous signal dangerous enough to be able to cause some kind of damage to the vehicle, so the transmission automatically locks in second gear and does not allow to exceed 3000 roms as this is the most rested way that your Mercedes has to work and thus does not feel forced risking some important component of the vehicle.

Then, it is not possible to perform any manual reset, so the worst thing to do is to locate a diagnostic kit with Mercedes software like Mercedes Star software and connectors in a computerized diagnostic in order to enter the exact error code that is causing the limp mode, the problem is that you will not be able to erase this error code so easily without first correcting the problem that the diagnostic tool is indicating, But you may have to do some superior repair, to tell you exactly what repair to do is very complicated for me because i am not with the vehicle and not knowing the values and error codes is very difficult for me to know.

Have you understood me dear customer?

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave JA. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box below and let me know. It has been my pleasure to assist you!