sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I have a Merceded A class from 2010. The other day i was

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Merceded A class from 2010. The other day i was driving along and it was as if I had put my foot on the clutch. I could change gears but there was no traction at al, an I glided to the side of the road. A friend towed the car home and the next day everything was OK. The same thing has just happened again. I think maybe the differential is playing up. Any ideas?
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: Nope. No sign of a slipping clutch at all, and it is the way it goes from Ok to no good and then OK again makes me pretty sure its not the clutch.
JA: What is the model of your '10 Mercedes?
Customer: Also, when it has this problem, and being towed, thee are occasional grinding noises from under the car
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: A160
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: it has been towed to the garage twice but since it was then working properly and the could find nothing wrong with it, I drove it home
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 11 days ago.
Hi, my name is Jose Sebastian, your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay. I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.
Dear customer, could you please tell me the mileage of your car and if you have done a diagnostic looking for error codes?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
48000. No no diagnostic.
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 10 days ago.

Dear customer, I understand that you think that the clutch could not be causing this problem but actually it can, what happens is that the clutch is made up of three components a collar a disc and a plate these three components make up the clutch kit, when sometimes the transmission stays in neutral most cases is because the collar can get stuck in the starting position so it remains neutral, but it is corrected when it returns to its place as an sporadic failure, this only happens in manual transmissions.

What I'd recommend you do is that you directly verify the clutch kit, because of its mileage and according to the use that you have given your Mercedes it is very likely that it requires replacement.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thanks. We have found out the problem. The drive shaft was replaced 2 years ago and obviously wasn't properly seated and the splines have worn down. The diff seems to be ok so just a new drive shaft...
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 9 days ago.

I understand, thanks for letting me know, this is not common to happen but it makes perfect sense as you had not traction.
Please make sure it is well fitted now to avoid this problem in the future.
If there is anything else i could help you, please let me know. Even after you rate in the 5 stars rating system located at the top of your screen, we can keep in touch.
Best regards, Sebastian.