Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I, I have an oil leek on a recently purchased. E63 AMG W211

Customer Question

Good evening I
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: I have an oil leek on a recently purchased. E63 AMG W211 ESTATE
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: 92,000 miles
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i will like to inspect it as I can see oil on the cover below the gear box. The oil in engine oil as I have recently had to add oil as I got an add engine oil message and could see drops under the car.
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: How can I tell if the oil is from the rear seal or the oil pan gaskets( I think there are two on this model. I have check the gaskets on the top of the engine and there is no oil leak percent and it very clean all round.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Robert replied 7 days ago.

Hi..there..

Firstly if you working under the car..you need make sure is properly supported on axle stands and on level ground..remove any plastic undertrays..then clean the area off with rags and brake cleaner..you have to clean the area first before you can properly investigate or evaluate the cause or source of the leak unless it very obvious as to where the leaks coming from...they have a upper or lower pan and both are sealed with MB's own sealant and not gaskets as such..if coming out from between the gearbox and the engine..then thats not cheap job and certainly cannot be carried out without a lift..but as above you need to start cleaning up the area to see exactly where its coming from..