Stephen Rothwell
Stephen Rothwell,
Experience:  Director at Steve Rothwell Limited
106618989

I have a Mercedes C class diesel 14 reg Assistant: How old

Customer Question

Hi I have a Mercedes C class diesel 14 reg
Assistant: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: i bought it from ***** ***** last June just changed the engine oil recently after driving 10k myself
Assistant: What is the model of your '14 Mercedes?
Customer: Met c class diesel saloon c220 BlueTec sport auto
Assistant: Are you fixing your Saloon yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven’t fixed it yet I see an engine management light appeared a week ago
Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: went to my local garage he said he has a same car and had a same issue fixed it for £1500
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Went to my local garage the mechanic said I have to get new sensors my car will stop working anytime in future and the cost to replace is £1500 I want to know what should I do my engine auto on/off has not been working for sometime now never paid attention to it now the engine management light is on for last week
Expert:  Stephen Rothwell replied 5 days ago.

HI

Thank you for your question, my name is Steve and I am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade, hopefully I can help.

The engine management light is connected to the ECU and will flag up any problem that is found in the management system. To fully access the problem the vehicle will need to be connected to a diagnostic scanner to read off the fault codes, once these are obtained a more accurate diagnosis can be made.

If your local garage has read off the codes then this may help determine the problem, if they did not then the codes these do need to be read and I would advise using a garage who have the Mercedes Star diagnostic system.

Your garage seem to be giving very vague information and they should supply you with more facts as to the reason for the price they have given.

I hope this answers your question but do please feel free to ask any further details by replying to this thread.

If this does answer your question please click accept and rate me, this allows me to continue, even

after clicking accept I can continue to answer further questions on the matter by replying to this thread

Many Thanks

Steve

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi Steve my mechanic diagnosed my car and came up with same issues he had in his similar Mercedes

Do you have the fault codes retrieved from the ECU? these are the key to solving the problem

Steve

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I didn’t looked at the codes but he said he had the same issue with his car and I might get a warning light on my dashboard saying my car will stop working in few miles so I have to change the sensors

The codes are the important thing, if you can get them I can tell you exactly what the problem is, there are many sensors on the engine and the problem may be any one of them.

Telling you he had the same issue with out explain what that issue was is not really enough information, and it may be better to get a second optinon on the problem.

Steve