experteer
experteer,
77184159

I am going to buy a vito 3litre v6 2011 tomorrow. the owner

Hi there I am going to buy a vito 3litre v6 2011 tomorrow. the owner now says engine management light on. he says he brought it to a Mercedes garage which put it on diagnostics which brought up diesel particle filter. they put out light but he says it has come on again. There is 101 thousand on clock and says fully serviced. what you think I should do?
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: Amber engine management light
JA: What is the model of your '11 Mercedes?
Customer: 3 litre v6 122 cdi
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no haven't bought it yet. the owner has been driving it to see if light goes out as garage says might be clogged from little usage
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: don't think so.

Dear customer, thank you for choosing Justanswer. My name is***** would like to help you.

I am now dealing with your question, I will be back in this chat in a few minutes.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok

I hope it's not too late for my answer.

Buying a vehicle with a problem at the DPF is a risky business.

At best, ***** ***** filter is clogged. Then you have two options. Either you buy a new one and have it installed (because the training values have to be reset, only a garage can do this). ( the cost is usually around GBP(###) ###-####depending on the filter type). Or you have to remove the filter, send it to Elitedpf.co.uk and have the training values reset afterwards. This company will clean the filter to a level that corresponds to a Mercedes replacement filter.

It is also possible that a defective EGR valve or injector has caused the filter to clog. In this case, GBP 2-3k can be quickly collected. You should consider this when buying.

Without an extensive diagnosis in the workshop, which is now the cause, there is always a residual risk.

I would be very happy about a rating with 5 stars over the star bar at the top of the page, without this rating the site operator does not pay us experts.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thank you for your reply. we are on way now to see it from ireland. not sure what to do for the best.

It's difficult to give you advice.

Does the seller have a proof (e.g. a printout showing that only the filter is clogged). Then you can assume that the rest is ok.

If not, maybe there is a workshop in his vicinity that will quickly carry out a forced regeneration. This is initiated via the workshop computer. The lamp should be off after that, if not, there is more defect than just the DPF.