Phillip H
Phillip H, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Vehicle Technician at Richmond Motor Services
108937146

I’ve got two error codes coming up. And my sprinter is

Customer Question

I’ve got two error codes coming up. And my sprinter is running rough, it’s now blowing smoke.
JA: Have you metered out the ignition system?
Customer: No ? What’s that invoke ?
JA: What year is your Sprinter?
Customer: 2014. It’s a 313 cdi
JA: Are you fixing your Sprinter yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yea I try to do as much as possible. I’ve changed the fuel pressure sensor on rail as it was the best place to start. I’m thinking high pressure fuel pump or injector seals next ?
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It won’t rev above 3 thousand revs atm. And it’s done 116000 miles
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The codes are p0252 and p0087
Expert:  Phillip H replied 1 year ago.

Hiya

The fault codes you have could relate to a number of items on the injection system.

The faults could lie with any of the following:

• Fuel Pump
  • Fuel Pressure Regulator
  • Fuel Supply Pipe Blockage
  • Fuel Filter
  • Injection Pump

I would suggest you carry out a Fuel Pressure Test and see what they shows and go from there.

Phillip

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would you try the high pressure pump before testing the injectors. I’ve checked or replaced everything else you’ve mentioned
Expert:  Phillip H replied 1 year ago.

Hiya

So you are saying there is no fuel pressure to the fuel rail? If there is fuel to the High Pressure Pump but none out of it then this is likely to be the pump itself or if it has a separate metering valve in the pump it could be that unit that has failed.

Phillip

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea there is fuel going to the rail and injectors. But I’ve got a low pressure code coming up. And van runs really rough and has smoke. So I’m wondering if it’s the pump failing or is it the injectors or injector seals maybe
Thanks Phil
Expert:  Phillip H replied 1 year ago.

Hiya

Ok so the pump is obviously delivering something to the rail but it is not the required pressure at present. This could be one of two things. Either the pump itself is faulty or one or more injectors are leaking past and not holding pressure.

I would carry out an Injector Leak Test using https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Cylinder-Diesel-Injector-Flow-Meter-Adaptor-Set-Common-Rail-Leak-Off-Tester/391780064010?epid=7011024174&hash=item5b37e95b0a:g:UF4AAOSwa39Uy6AE

See what results you get from that. You may find one is leaking excessively more than the others in which case it will require injectors. If they all test ok then it will probably require a pump.

What colour is the smoke emitted from the vehicle. If it is Black Smoke this would suggest injector issues with excessive fueling and maybe all of the fuel is not being burnt.

Phillip

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Ok I’ll try the injector test first and see what results I get. The smoke is black, but I’ve never had smoke until yesterday even though the van has ran rough for few weeks. That’s why suspected an injector fault rather than pump
.
Thanks Phil