MichaelUK
MichaelUK, Technician
Experience:  Technician
109796520

Mercedes silk r171 won’t start. Had door panel off because

Customer Question

Mercedes silk r171 won’t start. Had door panel off because of faulty mirror indicator. Door module is the problem for indicator. Now car won’t start engine won’t crank start.
JA: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?
Customer: All perfect car started this morning no problem. Only had problem since door module taken off to check.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: slk 200 , 2006 Model
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes ordered new door module as corrosion on circuit board
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Also the window screen wipers will now not work
Expert:  MichaelUK replied 18 days ago.

Dear customer, thank you for choosing Justanswer. My name is***** would like to help you.

Please excuse the waiting time.

I suppose you had not disconnected the battery for the work you were doing?

Possibly there was a voltage peak or an unnoticed short circuit.

First you should try to disconnect the battery for about 2-3 minutes. The control units must then restart completely. If you are lucky, the error was only caused by a problem with the software of the control units. And then the car will work again.

If not, it is possible that a fuse has blown. So please check all fuses under the dashboard on the driver's side and all fuses in the fuse box in the engine compartment on the right ( seen in driving direction ).

It is important to pull out the fuses and check them carefully or check them with a fuse tester / continuity tester.

If the fuses are also ok, then the fault is deeper in the electrical system, then the fault memory must be read out, depending on the fault code, something different must be checked. Either a workshop will do this or you can contact me again with the error code and we will narrow down the error together.