sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I am currently troubleshooting my friend's E200 sedan,

Customer Question

I am currently troubleshooting my friend's E200 sedan, automatic gearbox (651 engine). It's a E200 W212 CDI (blue efficiency) Year 2010. Model (2009-2012). VIN: https://we.tl/t-bWwA6S7XXZThe timing chain broke almost two years ago. There was damage to various parts. The engine was completely rebuild in the MB service center.Since then the car started to act a bit funny. Lack of power when overtaking and such things. They did never accept any responsibility. First they though (me too) that after the engine rebuild a limited power ECU remap was done but later dismissed it and told that the ECU was not touched. As time went by the car started acting even more weird. When you press the throttle pedal there is some lag before it catches the revs. It doesn't rev that quickly as it did before but if you wait a bit it will rev close to the red line. When you drive it same story. It is very hesitant. Not "quick". Can't do overtakes. Sport mode almost doesn't do any effect. Sometimes it just falls in limp mode with no check engine light on during normal driving. Fuel efficiency went down. It is now around 8-9L/100km, before it was about 5.5-7L/100km. When you let it rev up while driving the turbo makes boost, it revs near the red line but it does not go fast as it should. It is more like you are having some heavy cargo in the trunk. The engine revs loud but the car does not produce much speed.There are several error codes in the ecu. P2263, P2541, P0105, P0103, P0107, P0113, P0133, P0045, MAP, MAF, O2, pressure sensor of low pressure fuel system (not sure if it is the one in the fuel tank), turbo pressure under standard values, today it has shown even the accelerator pedal position sensor error (this could be the reason for the delayed response). Through Torque and some bluetooth adapter I could test the MAP, MAF, and think they are working very well. Today I replaced the O2 sensor thinking that may solve the problem but the errors remained. From the checks I did it seems the O2 does not give any reading or even more probable the ECU does not really use or engage the sensor. Before replacing I was able to read 0.4 volts briefly and that was all. Doesn't matter warmed up or cold. Always the same. That is why I was pretty confident it could be the O2 sensor (didn't exclude other things too). In the meantime we took apart also the electronic turbo actuator and tested it and it seems that it is working very well. That was also a tip from some other guy to check and obviously it did make sense because of the turbo boost error code. While driving and checking the Torque app the turbo boost reads around 17.5 psi at around 4k rpm. Which seems more than enough, not sub value like the trouble code shows. We went to a guy that worked for MB for some 20 years and specializes in diagnostics and electronics. He measured and focused a lot on the DPF. The car has some 200k miles so it was possible. He told us he is very confident that the DPF is working flawlessly but didn't know the solution. I did inspect the turbo for bearing play and it seems the turbo is in very good condition. I didn't notice any leaks or damage in the intake. The fuel injectors where inspected some time ago and are fine. I tried also the ECU adaptive transmission & throttle settings reset steps but am not sure if the instructions where correct and definitely that didn't make a change.The codes alone I know what they mean more or less but I think something is going on here beside these codes. For instance there was 2 or 3 O2 sensor codes and after replacement they remained. The turbo actuator controls some kind of valve, could be that valve that is causing the trouble code regarding turbo pressure sub par? And I am not sure what is the low pressure fuel sensor referred by the code, the fuel tank pressure or some sensor that is usually found on the line that provides low pressurized fuel to the HPFP. The turbo actuator we checked it, the turbo seems fine, but maybe the valve controlled by the actuator is not, I don't know how to check it without instructions. I just tried to manually press it and it makes motion and changes the RPM of the engine so it seems is not stuck or something like that.
I don't expect a magician here, but at least you could point me in some good direction based on the details I provided.Thanks in advance!
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
The codes alone I know what they mean more or less but I think something is going on here beside these codes. For instance there was 2 or 3 O2 sensor codes and after replacement they remained. The turbo actuator controls some kind of valve, could be that valve that is causing the trouble code regarding turbo pressure sub par? And I am not sure what is the low pressure fuel sensor referred by the code, the fuel tank pressure or some sensor that is usually found on the line that provides low pressurized fuel to the HPFP. The turbo actuator we checked it, the turbo seems fine, but maybe the valve controlled by the actuator is not, I don't know how to check it without instructions. I just tried to manually press it and it makes motion and changes the RPM of the engine so it seems is not stuck or something like that.
I don't expect a magician here, but at least you could point me in some good direction based on the details I provided.
Thanks in advance!
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Sorry for the error, the second message was for the VIN only.
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 17 days ago.

Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 16 days ago.

Hi, my name is***** your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. I apologize for any delay.

Dear customer, I have read in your query, the truth is that there are many things that come to my mind to review.
But I will try to extend myself and make it as concrete as possible.

First, according to the reading of the error codes you may be presenting a problem of leaks in the air intake, i observed that everything started after a job that was done to the engine for having broken the timing chain so it seems to me that there may be Intake vacuum leakage problems, this is rulable in many ways, the simplest is to use a sprayer on all edges of the intake.

Another reason may be that the EGR valve is recirculating the exhaust gases in a bad way, all this because I see that you have replaced the exhaust sensors that you have verified the DPF and that the problem still persists. Therefore, it may be that the EGR valve, It is causing problems to the admission, it may be that it is very dirty or obstructed.

I also observed that it has verified the turbo, the problem is that the turbos is best to place a test at least, like the throttle body, these components are not recommended to check by removing the saddles or disarming the power from a test bench, the most advisable thing in these cases is to simply locate these test pieces and proceed to replace them and check that this corrects the fault or not, although I know that from your position, it is difficult to do it this way, I hope you can find a friend or a colleague who can lend you.

Another thing i see is that you have error codes referring to low fuel price, this low pressure is detected by the injection pump, I am not sure if these models have an independent regulator, but I do know that the injection pump indicates when there are low pressures, therefore it would be Ideally, proceed to subject the pump to an overhaul. I see that the injectors have already been overhauled, but I don't know if the pump was too.

I think the pedal actuator has no problems so that way you can rest easy.
On the other hand, I would also take a look at the distribution time review again, as there may be some variation between the distribution taking, perhaps a tooth run, small variations do not create error codes many times.
Do you understand me, dear customer?
My goal is to give you the best advise i can, therefore please do not doubt to ask if you have any doubt or if there is anything else i can help you with.
Kind regards, Sebastian.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hello Jose Sebastian!Thank you very much for your detailed response. I can tell you did pay great attention to detail and understood very well the problem.The car is now in the service center and I forwarded all your tips."I also observed that it has verified the turbo, the problem is that the turbos is best to place a test at least, like the throttle body, these components are not recommended to check by removing the saddles or disarming the power from a test bench, the most advisable thing in these cases is to simply locate these test pieces and proceed to replace them and check that this corrects the fault or not, although I know that from your position, it is difficult to do it this way, I hope you can find a friend or a colleague who can lend you." - I am not sure I did understand correctly this part. Do you mean to test a turbo for leaks on a test bench?I think I understood everything else.Kind regards!
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 15 days ago.

It is my pleasure an help!
Dear customer, like the intake, the turbo is also checked and this is done effectively through a test bench, that is, as such it is not to test if the turbo has leaks as such, i tried to say that the turbo has load problems and the best is to do it by testing it independently rather than just in a visual way.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you! The car stayed today at Mercedes for additional checks. They checked everything we discussed but it seems it's fine. The mechanic told he will also verify the catalyst as all the other parts seem fine. I will not close the chat right now because I will let you know any updates with the car if it is of any value to you. You will have five stars for sure!Kind regards!
Thank very much for the update.
I definitely interested in know how this keeps going , let me know.
All the best.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hello Sebastian. In the meantime we tested the EGR system, measured low pressure and high pressure fuel pump and tested engine without catalyst. All checks fine. Mercedes has also updated everything to the last software version. They suspect the injectors to be the problem even the car does not show any bad injector symptoms. We will test a set of new injectors and I will let you know. I also tried to spray the intake manifold with starter spray because someone told me that the intake manifolds on these models cracks sometimes. The test didn't show any leaks. I know the more professional test would be with the smoke machine but we have not a shop with that nearby. Kind regards!
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 3 days ago.

Hello dear customer, thanks for the news!
Vacuum leak tests are very important with the smoke machine, it would be ideal, but since you do not have one, it is good do it as you did it with spray but with the engine accelerated to at least 2000 or 3000 rpm, so you have good air absorption , and not only in the manifold but in all the components of the acceleration system.

Taking the injectors to a review in a test bench is the best thing before proceeding to replace them, many times the injectors are not defective as such but simply one of the tips is clogged or there is a pressure problem in the injection rail.