Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have recently acquired a 2004 clk 200 with 88,000 miles on

Customer Question

Hi I have recently acquired a 2004 clk 200 with 88,000 miles on the clock.
JA: Are you fixing your 88 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: hi I have recently acquired a lovely looking 2004 CLK 200 with 88.000 miles on the clock. My local garage have checked it out and, with oil service , new spark plugs, but an enhine warning light has appeared
JA: How many miles are on the car? When did you last check the plugs?
Customer: Hi, I have recently acquired a 2004 CLK 200 with 88,000 on the clock as a "back-up "car. My local garage have checked it over including an oil service and new spark plugs. It has developed a warning engine light, and despite dealing the all the items "flagged" on the diagnostic machine the engine persists in being very irregular when idling but seems to run fine at full speed. I have heard that the problem may bee a known fault with this engine regarding the "timing chain". I did'nt pay a lot of money for the car but do not wish to undertake expensive engine repairs.
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: as above
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Robert replied 16 days ago.

Hi..there..

What fault codes is it storing when its scanned?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Don't Know, would have to consult garage for a "code". Dash board warning light persists with orange engine light.
Expert:  Robert replied 16 days ago.

Without knowing what fault codes you have stored then it would be stab in the dark.. If it mulitple missfire then they may want to check for vacuum leak or intake leak.. if it timing related as you say or they think it maybe be.. then a decent wiring diagram. pico scope and trace the cam and crank signals and compare witha known good trace..that way they could see if the timing chain is indeed stretched..without having to dismantle the engine or having to manually time it up too see if the timing chain has shifted...