MichaelUK
MichaelUK, Technician
Experience:  Technician
109796520

I want to ask what kind of alternator I need for a Mercedes

Customer Question

Hi there
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: i want to ask what kind of alternator I need for a Mercedes w204 2009 c class with clutch pulley or a free wheel one?
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: My alternator been replace with a free wheel alternator and started to make noises. As I see online the most of them has pulley and my one now it’s simple wheel
JA: What is the model of your '09 Mercedes?
Customer: w204 c class estate
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No been fix by a mobile mecanic
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am waiting to bere back from you
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MichaelUK replied 9 days ago.

Dear customer, thank you for choosing Justanswer. My name is***** would like to help you.

What´s the VIN of your car?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The car it’s on service and the document are there too
Expert:  MichaelUK replied 9 days ago.

Okay, too bad.

I'll see what I can find out with the information you gave me.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I can tell you that it’s a 2009 Mercedes c class estate w204 .2.2 diesel
Expert:  MichaelUK replied 9 days ago.

Do you know how many horsepower (HP) the car has?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No sorry
Expert:  MichaelUK replied 9 days ago.

Ok, no need to worry, I'll see what I can find out.

Expert:  MichaelUK replied 9 days ago.

There are different alternators for the car. These differ only in the number of amperes. All alternators have a pulley. Before ordering the alternator it is important to check the sticker of the old alternator to see how many amperes it had as charging power.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Can you check the photos this it’s the one they been installed.it’s a free wheel and not have a clutch pulley.it’s that right?
Expert:  MichaelUK replied 9 days ago.

It´s a pulley version.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
My car broke down on the road away from home.I call a team of mobile mechanics.after they change the car start to make bad noise when I turn the wheel Max left or right.then I manage to go to my local garage and they sed it’s a wrong alternator need to be double clutch pulley alternator .see photos I want to know if the alternator it’s a free wheel or oap or oad.
Expert:  MichaelUK replied 9 days ago.

Can you call the garage tomorrow and ask them to give you the VIN of the car, then I can take a closer look, it can sometimes happen that an identification about year of manufacture and engine throws out wrong parts, with the VIN I can take a closer look

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Expert:  MichaelUK replied 8 days ago.

Thank you very much.

With this chassis number the parts film actually shows a completely different part.

If the mobile mechanic searched for the part using the vehicle data and not the VIN, he was shown the wrong part.

The correct one is part number A0141541102

This alternator actually has a freewheel on the pulley

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks a lot, I hope this will help, they refuse to take any blame insisting they fitted the right alternator. I paid more than £500 for them to come out and fit the wrong piece, after that car was literally not driving until broke down completely. Now my mechanic is fixing it up but I am afraid I will not see my money back from them. Do you know if there is anywhere I can go with this? Trade association?
Expert:  MichaelUK replied 8 days ago.

No, I can't say anything about it, it's a matter for a lawyer.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
It’s there any chance to send me the link where you find the alternator? Thanks!
Expert:  MichaelUK replied 4 days ago.

No, unfortunately I cannot send you a link, because I use the original Mercedes workshop information system of a mechanic friend of mine.

I am sorry.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Not even a photo?
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Screenshot
Expert:  MichaelUK replied 4 days ago.

No, the systems are copyright protected. Publication can cost several thousand pounds in fines. I hope for your understanding.