sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

2005 mercedes 220 cdi diesel c class estate. occaisionally

Customer Question

2005 mercedes 220 cdi diesel c class estate. occaisionally cranks but will not start. sometimes starts after aprolonged period of cranking. usually starts first time though. will occur when engine HOT OR COLD. FUEL TANK KEPT FULL. mercedes specialist garage could not observe fault while he had the car . he reported. 1.short test perform.CHECK ACTUAL VALUE AND RESET. 2.DIAG.intermitent nonstart . CHECK FEED/GROUND TO EIS. THIS COST £106 . FAULT REMAINS sometimes cranking actually flattens battery.
JA: Have you checked the engine's fuel supply? And the spark plugs -- are they all working?
Customer: this is a DIESEL ENGINE see above
JA: What is the model of your '05 Mercedes?
Customer: SEE ABOVE . 2005 220cdi DIESEL. C CLASS.
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: SEE ABOVE.ASK YOUR 5 MECHANICS I HAVE FULLY EXPLAINED FAULT .SEE ABOVE.
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
MERCEDES 2005 220CDI DIESEL C CLASS ESTATE MILEAGE 166000.
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 20 days ago.

Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 20 days ago.

Hi, my name is***** your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.

Dear customer, you have very characteristic symptoms of problems at the starter motor level, the starter motor is an electric motor that is responsible for giving the first turn over of the ignition, so that the engine starts. When we turn the key and nothing happens, it is usually because the starter motor cannot turn over, this can be due to several factors:

It can be problems with the battery that has been used for a long time and must be replaced, but it can also be problems at the level of the battery connections or the starter motor connections, so it is good to start by checking here.

The starter motor works with a relay located under the engine compartment. Sometimes, the relay can be loose or defective causing it to sometimes not activate, so it is good to check that the starter relay is correct.

Finally, it can be problems at the starter motor level and your Mercedes is 2005, the starter motor is a part that is constantly subjected to turns over, over time the internal lubrication can lead the starter motor to get stuck at certain times that is why intermittent failure sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't.

The starter motor is completely replaced or its internal kit can also be replaced and a well maintenance can help to sort out the problem.

My goal is to give you the best advice i can, I hope to be helpful, if you have any doubt or want to know anything else please do not hesitate to reply back.
Kind regards, Sebastian.

Kind regards, Sebastian.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I clearley stated that the engine cranks but will not start....The starter motor is obviously FINE. please READ my question. And send a correct answer. I am a Motoring Journalist supplying articles to most US and European magazines. Reply to my question to avoid future bad publicity.I am writing an article for AUTOCAR MAGAZINE concerning internet car problem services .I have asked the same above question of 15 internet service providers .Your reply was nonsensical. please redeem your service and reply correctly or face the consequences in Print
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 15 days ago.

Dear customer, excuse me, in your original query I understood that the engine cranks occasionally, that is, sometimes it did not turn over, so my answer was directed to the starter motor, but now I understand that the motor always turns over, but you have to give several starts until it start on. This is another perspective.
Mercedes diesel engines require four very important components for proper operation: a good fuel injection, a high temperature, a high compression and a good air intake.

Two of these factors are really important, so that there is no ignition delay such as a good temperature and a high fuel pressure.

The temperature generated by a fuel preheater is basically a glow plug, the glow plugs can have a maximum duration of 50k miles because they lose their ability to generate heat. I am going to attach a picture of how a worn glow plug looks like, so that you can see how it lost its ability to generate heat to preheat the fuel.

As you will see, since it does not have the ability to heat the fuel for ignition, you must give a lot of starts so that the same heat from the engine allows the fuel to heat up and allow it to ignite.

The same happens when we have pressure lost in the fuel injection system, either due to problems at the pump level or due to excessive dirt on the rail, this is something very simple to sort out.
With a pump calibration we can be able to solve the problem. It is expensive to carry out but it is necessary with the passage of time, your car is already 2005, it means that the fuel may be discharging or lossing pressure, you have to turn it over, so the pump is able to prime the system and allow the ignition.