Gavin Perry
Gavin Perry, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
105804848

I have a 2008 Mercedes Benz c320 and the left rear door will

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Mercedes Benz c320 and the left rear door will not unlock ! How do I get the door panel off when the door is closed ?
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: Yes
JA: Are you fixing your C320 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i have ysed a Mercedes diagnostic tester and the fault came up as a short on the door lock motor ! I have checked all fuses and tried re setting the central locking but no luy Luck even
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: it’s an Mot fail and I have got a re test next Tuesday
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Gavin Perry replied 16 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** am here to assist you Today the latch / actuator fail in the door it is a nightmare as you have to sacrifice the door card to get access to break the latch.

This is an image of the rear latch this has to be broken down and then you can get the door open and start the easier rebuild of the door i would recommend buying a new one rather than a used one due to the same reason yours has failed if you need me just get back to me regards Gavin.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Can I bypass the lock so the door just opens and closes so I can get it through the Mot giving me some time to source a new lock !

Morning no it is dead locked like i said they are a nightmare do you know the MOT station you are going to.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I know them fairly well , why ?
If I sacrifice the inside door panel to get access to the lock mechanism, can I dismantle the lock to get it open or do I have to physically break the lock off to remove it ass I noticed from the other rear door that there’s two torque screws going from the outside of the door shut to what I assume is a captive nut on the lock assembly !
Expert:  Gavin Perry replied 15 days ago.

You have to smash the latch up to get the door open to access the torque bolts i was asking about the MOT station do you know them well enough for them to let it slip to give you more time.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Nope the tester is a bit of a jobs worth !! lol ! I used to have a user friendly Mot tester but I think he must have been struck off !!
Just to get it clear in my mind , if i get the door lock off , I wont be able to open and close the door using the door handle ! Its the inability to open the door that is the Mot failure not the inability to lock the door !

I know it is the fact you can not open or close the door that it will fail hence you need to replace the latch Shame about the MOT tester they tend to be failed good mechanics and having a tester licence goes the their heads heads i was the UKs youngest ever MOT tester my claim to fame.