sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I am having problems with my SLK 2009 as the key fob will

Customer Question

Hi, I am having problems with my SLK 2009 as the key fob will not work and I have changed the battery in the key fob and this worked but the car has been parked up for 2 weeks and I have again the same problem it will not open the car or start the car.
JA: Have you changed a battery before?
Customer: No this is the first time in the key fob.
JA: What is the model of your '09 Mercedes?
Customer: slk 200
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: All I have done is looked on line but not done anything myself they only thing suggested is a fuse may have gone? The problem is without being able to start the car I cannot get it to a garage and just wondered if it was something simply prior to getting out a mechanic.
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I cannot think of anything.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 12 days ago.

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Dear customer, could you tell me please what else have you checked so far?
Did you already checked the battery and the spare key?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi, we originally thought it was the car battery as the car had sat for a couple of weeks so we tried to jump start the car but this did not work and at this point we thought about the battery in the key fob so I changed the battery in the key fob and the car started and was ok and back in working order but the car has had to sit again for two weeks and now the keys will not work again, I have got the red flashing light in the key fob fob which I believe indicates that the key fob is actually working. Hope this helps

Dear customer

Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 11 days ago.

Dear costumer as an general answer i think your cruise control is at the end of it useful life time, it is normal that old controls stops working rightly and deprogram it self by 2009 and close years can generate this issues ,i recommend you to place a new control, you can make it from a car locksmith or any external workshop,if you want you can reprogram the control you already have but it willfail again in a few days and you will have the same issue again

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
checking the battery as suggested is no longer an option?

Dear costumer could you try replacethe battery, is not more , because maybe the battery you bought is faulty but anyway think that is very likely that you will have to change controls

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have not bought a battery, I got a message yesterday saying to disconnect the battery, I cant quite remember the message but I cannot see it now in this message trail.

Dear costumer you first have to check the battery like i already told youto do and if it does not work the option is to replace it.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I could not check the battery last night as I was away on business and the car is at home so I was going todo this tonight, could you kindly send the instructions through again as I was going totefer to your message but I cannot find d it on the message trail. Thank you

Dear costumer it is simple, you are just going to replace the control battery and vehicles main battery,you have to verify if it is older than a year, for that you can use a tester, multimeter or you can test it with another car battery