sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

When ignition key is turned nothing happens, not sure. It’s

Customer Question

When ignition key is turned nothing happens
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: not sure. It’s an automatic
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 2010
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just tried to start it. It happened about a month ago. Mechanic said this car would not start with steering wheel on full lock. This is not the case now
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Category: Mercedes
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Nothing else I can think of
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
2010 Mercedes 250 d c class automatic
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 18 days ago.

Hello, I am Jose Sebastian. Your automotive expert, It's a pleasure to me to attend your question. Thank you very much for trust in just answer.

Dear costumer did you have already checked the battery?

Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 17 days ago.

Dear customer, this seems to be a problem with the immobilizer system that has been activated.
Let me explain how your immobilizer system works.
The electronic immobilizer protects your vehicle by means of an electronic code integrated in the key. This is composed of an invariable personal code and a second code that the immobilizer modifies each time the engine is started.
When starting the vehicle, the immobilizer checks the personal code and the variable. If both codes are correct, the immobilizer sends a new coded signal to the engine control to unlock the engine. Without this signal, the engine can not be started, even by a bypass.
If you have a problem in the key or in the immobilizer, your vehicle will not turn on, this happens a lot when we perform works in the vehicle, it may have unintentionally done something to the battery that made the vehicle think that you were trying to turned on without its respective key or some other case that could activate the immobilizer.

If the immobilizer cannot verify the codes, this may be due to different factors, such as the key has been deprogrammed with the immobilizer, or that the key has no access to the vehicle, therefore the immobilizer inhibits the ignition , this type of problems is quite common so you do not necessarily have to go to the dealership to solve it, although it would be the most prudent and correct thing to do, there are auto locksmith garages and local garages that can help you with your case, reprogramming the key fob, key and the immobilizer, and verify if any of the modules present damages or if there is a short.

This problem may be the most likely but there are another factors like a problem with the key fob or main battery, fuses, key barrel or some sensor like the CKP sensor. Starter relay etc. That can inhibit ignition as well