Billy
Billy, Trainer/ Master Technician
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

E350 cd1 2011. Goes into a semi limp mode where it holds to

Customer Question

E350 cd1 2011. Goes into a semi limp mode where it holds to 3ooo rpm before shifting gear. This mode also disables manual or other options. This also doesnt show on local garage diagnostics. It will not revert to normal mode unless its stopped and restarted. It tends to slip into this mode when slowing down for a junction or standstill.? The egr has been overhauled by garage as it was the only previous fault code on system, it has not re occurred.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: No leaks. Probably original 2011. 138k miles
JA: What is the model of your '11 Mercedes?
Customer: E350 cdi sport
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am not. What has been researched is mentioned above
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Billy replied 16 days ago.

Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.
If you get prompted for a Premium service or a phone call, please ignore that, as i don't think it is needed at this point.

My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Billy replied 16 days ago.

Thank you for all the details as those are key. From you detailed description, i can tell you this:

The engine module is not going in limp mode (and i think that the EML is off). The transmission however is going in to limp mode preventing the manual mode and causing the delayed shifts.

In which case the transmission module and the shifter module will need to be checked using the scan tool (diagnostic equipment) and the fault codes in those modules retrieved. I would also advise that the transmission fluid be checked and topped up for now if needed.

I would not recommend replacing the fluid yet, as the most common fault on this model's transmission would be the conductor plate inside the transmission. If we confirm that this is faulty the transmission sump will require removal to access this part, so the fluid will require replacement then.

Kindly let me know if further assistance is required on this matter and get back to me with the fault codes if needed, I will be able to explain those and provide guidance on the diagnostics procedure in order to confirm the faulty part. That way we avoid replacing unneeded parts.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you , that does make sense. I shall have to book in diagnostics report with mercedes to find your codes because there are none from my local garage. . This is an intermittent fault as from morning run this will not happen until warmer and decreasing speed is when it cuts in and holds revs to 3k before shifting
Expert:  Billy replied 15 days ago.

Indeed, a diagnostic report that would retrieve the faults mainly from the transmission. Even if the problem is not present at the exact moment, the codes will be stored under thee "history codes" tab.