sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I have an issue where my Mercedes E280 sport will not turn

Customer Question

I have an issue where my Mercedes E280 sport will not turn off (even with the key removed) it cycles warnings (ESP, RESTRAINT SYSTEM...). If you put the key in the dash lights up but half the systems don't work. No wipers, sat nav etc. After a while it cuts out then refuses to start.
I've only had any success with waiting a while then switching the battery as it totally drains it or, depowering the ESP system once the engine has stopped. It only happens in the rain.
I think I need to protect mu SAM sensor from possible water.? Suggestions?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: yes, the first time it happened I checked all the fuses individually the only bulb was a number plate and i replaced it.
JA: What year is your E280?
Customer: 2008
JA: Are you fixing your E280 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: .If I can, yes.
I've tried the fuses and a standard OND 2 tester but no luck so far in a firm diagnosis
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Not that I can think of
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 16 days ago.

Dear customer my name is***** the expert who will attend you today, I am reviewing your query at the moment you are viewing this message, if you wish you can tell me your name, to know who I have the pleasure to talk to, also if possible I would like you to send me a photo or video in which your fault is better appreciated, it would help a lot to improve my final answer. If you have done a previous check or diagnosis in which you have obtained any error codes, that would also be helpful. Please note that the system will automatically offer you a service call, this has an additional cost to the initial cost of the consultation, and not in all cases it is necessary, so I recommend you to dispense with the call for now, we can continue through this chat without any problem. Thank you very much for trusting in the just answer.

Dear customer, does this happen on a recurring basis?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi Jose, My name is***** don't have a video/ photo that will be of any use to you unfortunately. When I had it tested the fault has passed and, as such was inconclusive.
Recurrence - Yes, when I drive in the rain for a ovder period (over 20 mins)
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Longer period,

Dear customer, remember that ESP stands for Electronic Stability Program or Electronic Stability Control. This system acts when a car, SUV or truck could lose grip or traction, individually braking the wheels to return to the trajectory set by the steering wheel. If this happens in the rain, it could be due to a surface contact problem, i.e. you are likely to lose stability in the rain, there could be poor balance of your car. 

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I'm well aware of what the ESP does. This is not the issue. I also get a restraint system warning and a 3rd I can't remember. The systems are not connected other than through the SAM unit which I feel is the actual problem as I have mentioned.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The ESP is not really a problem when the issue does arise as the car doesn't drive/ or will work without the keys in it but I have no wipers at that point so still couldn't drive it safely if I wanted to.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Also, prior to the latest incident I had 3 new tyres and an alignment check just a few days before

Dear customer, it would be appropriate that you perform a diagnostic with the codes on, because in my opinion the car goes into an emergency mode due to the stability, however the moisture in the contacts could also be the fault, a problem in the SAM module due to getting wet I see something complicated by the fact that if this gets wet and goes into failure would hardly be reset by turning off and on, it is even very likely that if you did that the module would burn out.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The car doesn't do this until I park after the drive, e.g. in the services on a motorway drive. Is this consistent with your assessment?

Dear customer just to clarify the indicators do not appear during driving but when you park? how long ago did this start to appear? does it usually appear after long periods of driving? or does it appear after a few minutes?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Correct. This is not apparent while driving but once I stop and remove the key. At this point the engine does not stop and the cooling fans run at maximum.
I have not experienced this fault on a shorter drive but I rarely use the car for a drive less than 100 miles or so.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Then when I put the key back into the ignition the warnings are displayed.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The first instance was in March but it's happened another twice since. The latest episode was Saturday.

Dear customer, do you notice accumulated water deposits in any section?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
None that have been obvious. Fuse boxes and footwells were dry etc. I've not started to remove panels to check.

Dear customer, it is possible that there is wear in some section, look for moisture residues, the good thing is that water usually leaves traces.

Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 15 days ago.

Dear customer remember to keep me informed, any problem related to moisture usually leaves traces, wear on the wiring, moisture or sulphate residues, are indicative that the problem is caused by moisture or wear, if this is your case, check the connections and see which may need to be replaced.

Dear customer, it is my pleasure to serve you. You may wish to mark me as a favourite expert for future reference. I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert. You will have the option to do so on your "My Questions" page or you can request me by name on the site if you wish. My name is @Exp-JoseSebas Thank you for trusting Justanswer.