Billy
Billy, Trainer/ Master Technician
Experience:  Trainer 18+ years - master tech. 20+ years, SAE member
30385560

I have a Mercedes’ sprinterproblems with adblue warning

Customer Question

Hi I have a Mercedes’ sprinter(###) ###-####problems with adblue warning light not going away and then in to limp mode ???
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: AdBlue
sustem
malfunction
After eng.
restart:
V = 20 km/h
JA: Are you fixing your Sprinter yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced new nox sensor
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: drove it last week but back in to limo mode
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Billy replied 15 days ago.

Hello and welcome! I'm Billy and I will assist you with your inquiry. I understand that having car problems can be frustrating so please feel free to ask if any further info is needed. If you get prompted for a premium service or a phone call, please ignore that, cause I don't think it is needed at this point. My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience. May I know your first name?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Naz
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It’s at the garage I dropped it off yesterday
Expert:  Billy replied 15 days ago.

Having replaced the NOx sensor, the new sensor needs to be initialized using diagnostic equipment. The engine control unit needs to have the software updated. Having done all those, and if you still get the warning light, the system will need to be checked for faults using diagnostic equipment. The faults will indicate the problem. It most commonly is the dosing injector on this model. But those procedures need to be performed. I will get you the details in pdf.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It’s happened twice now it’s not a car it’s a minibus
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Expert:  Billy replied 15 days ago.

Yes, it's van or a minibus. Here are the details which you can check out and relay to the garage working on it.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
It has been on a Mercedes’ computer last week and got rid of it but now it happens again into limp mode can’t drive
Expert:  Billy replied 15 days ago.

Yes. When connected to the computer, it needs to be checked for faults. The software will need to be updated, and the NOx sensor will need to be initialized.

If they only reset the faults, the problem, being still present, will resurface.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Done all that what to do next same problem
Expert:  Billy replied 15 days ago.

Check the faults, and proceed accordingly.

Expert:  Billy replied 15 days ago.

If the faults indicate a level problem, with the Adblue, the system will need to be drained and filled according to a very specific procedure. I will get the procedure.

Expert:  Billy replied 15 days ago.

Here are the details.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi no level problems showing but it was full with adblue
Expert:  Billy replied 15 days ago.

Then you need to proceed according to the faults found in the system.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
What do I think it is sounds like injector. Was driving for a month then this happens and now it won’t drive more than 5km limo mode something is wrong ?
Expert:  Billy replied 15 days ago.

When the fault is triggered, the system performance will be reduced gradually. Eventually the engine will not be allowed to start. The injector can very well be the cause. But you need to proceed according to the faults as indicated, to avoid replacing unneeded parts.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you let’s see what the garage says
Expert:  Billy replied 15 days ago.

Thank you for your trust. Cheers.