Steve
Steve, Vehicle Technician
Experience:  Garage owner for thirty years
106618989

My car won't start after driving and won't even cough, the

My car won't start after driving and won't even cough
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: the battery is less than 2 years old
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Mercedes a140
JA: What year is your Mercedes?
Customer: 2001
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: not much
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have tried getting strangers to jump start it for me when i'm out and about but it doesn't respond to it, it doesn't even cough

Welcome to JA. My name is***** am a fully qualified vehicle technician with over thirty years in the trade. I will be happy to assist you today. Hopefully we can get this resolved quickly. You will receive an offer of a phone call by the system, this only needs to be accepted if you wish to speak to me, I can otherwise continue to answer your questions via the thread.

This problem sounds as though it is the starter itself, the starter on your A140 is situated in a very awkward position on top of the engine, it is prone to absorb all the heat from the engine.

When hot the circuits fail and that starter will not operate, this would be the case if the car will start ok when cold, but not spin over when hot.

There is a relay which may need changing, but in all the A class Mercedes I have checked, it is always the starter.

I hope this answers your question but I want you to be 100% happy with the answer so do please feel free to ask any further details by replying to this thread. Thank you for using Just Answer

Steve

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you for the prompt reply. Yes it only starts when the car hasnt been driven for a day or at least a couple of hours but it does start when it hasn't been driven for a while. i initially thought it was the battery but it wouldnt start even with a jump start or make the normal coughing sound. The problem started a few days ago as i was finsihing my deliveries at work and i called out the RAC and apparently one of the fuses has overheated and snapped but he thought it was due to the manufacturers metal covering on the battery, but leaving the metal covering off didn't change anything. How much does a relay and starter cost to replace?

The starter motor is a 4 hour job and so not a cheap option, the starter itself is around £130 but it is the labour cost which pushes the price of the job up. The overheating fuse could be due to the load from the starter / relay, this would confirm the problem.

The relay is around £30 and is located under the carpet on the passenger floor, it may be worth checking this first.

Steve

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Oh ok yeah that does sound like a big job, would i be right to say a decent quote should be around £250? When I go to the mechanics should i ask for them to take a look at the relay first and then the starter or just let them take a look?

Yes a good quote would be £250, with VAT the price could be higher, yes ask them to take a look at the relay first, try and find a garage who know about the A Class, they are a little different to work on, and getting some one who has experience on them would be good.

Steve

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks for that. Is there a resource where I can find garages that know about the A class?

There isn't a specific site for that, but if you go to this site CLICK HERE  you can find the local garages close to you and the reviews, possibly phone a couple up and sound them out on their knowledge on the A class.

Steve

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I'll do that, I've had a look on euro car parts for the starter and relay and I've noticed that the starter costs about £80, so is the £130 with labour included? https://www.eurocarparts.com/starter-motor

The £130 is an average price, The one from Euro car parts is ok, but they don't cover all areas, so I didn't want to give you a price that was unobtainable.

Steve

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ahhh ok thank you very much, you've been so helpful. I'm a relatively new driver and this the first issue i've had and you've guided me through it. Have a nice day

Your welcome, I do hope all goes well, but please feel free to get back to me on this thread if needed.

All the Best  and thank you for using Just Answer

Steve

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I called the garage and they asked me what type of relay?

Its the starter relay, all details listed on this webpage CLICK HERE but its fair to say that if they have to ask they don't know, and it would be worth finding a garage who do know the vehicle a little better.

Steve

It was a pleasure to assist you today. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Steve