BrookerMechanic
BrookerMechanic,
Experience:  dasdasd
114994970

2018 Vito Van, I put key in ignition, turn it, and nothing

Customer Question

2018 Vito Van, I put key in ignition, turn it, and nothing happens - no lights on the dash even. Central locking doesn't work from the key either. Have tried both keys. Any ideas - thank you
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: No, would that help if it is not starting? I will try it but the van is stuck on the road a few miles easy
JA: What is the model of your '18 Mercedes?
Customer: It is a Vito 111 diesel
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing yet
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Just that key won't start ignition, and perhaps linked to central locking as that doesn't work either
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  BrookerMechanic replied 14 days ago.

I am here to look into your question today, so please feel free to ask me anything required to resolve your problem! We all understand it can be annoying when your auto is not operating as expected but not to worry I will do my utmost to help get it sorted. I am just looking at the information you have provided now, so bear with me for a few moments, please.Thanks for choosing Just Answer.

Hello and welcome, let's see if I can help you today with your Mercedes.

Ok, so it sounds like battery failure, have you tried to jump-start the vehicle?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Planning to go there to try that in a few minutes - anything I should do or look out for??
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
No need for a call thanks - I think I will try a jump start and go from there

Just make sure when you first put power to the battery check for any interior lights to come on or headlights been left on, something that could have caused the dead battery.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Cheers ***** ***** do

No problem, let me know.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hello again, Turns out the jump start didn't work - there was absolutely nothing - not even the ignition lights. Radio and interior light working. Also central locking is playing up - it will unlock, but won't lock
Expert:  BrookerMechanic replied 13 days ago.

Hello, sorry for the delay.

Ok, so sounds like you have either a completely dead battery and it's not excepting any power to go through it or there is a more serious electrical fault.

My advice would be to have the battery changed first and go from there.