sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I have a C180 automatic kompressor and has developed a

Customer Question

I have a C180 automatic kompressor and has developed a problem so won't start then it does start. I turn the key ,the ignition lights come on and when I turn the key the engine turns a couple of times and stops . Sometimes it starts. The plastic coloured flat end of the key does have a few crack.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Usually in park when starting. I'm not aware of a wheel lock.
JA: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?
Customer: 2009
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Called out green flag , they checked the battery ( it's ok) and did some diagnostics but could not find a fault. The car initially not starting but after a few attempts it did start and I drove from Cambridge to London without a problem
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I took it to my mechanic earlier and his diagnostics showed a fault on the steering column. No sure what that means
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 13 days ago.

Dear customer my name is***** the expert who will attend you today, I am reviewing your query at the moment you are viewing this message, if you wish you can tell me your name, to know who I have the pleasure to talk to, also if possible I would like you to send me a photo or video in which your fault is better appreciated, it would help a lot to improve my final answer. If you have done a previous check or diagnosis in which you have obtained any error codes, that would also be helpful. Please note that the system will automatically offer you a service call, this has an additional cost to the initial cost of the consultation, and not in all cases it is necessary, so I recommend you to dispense with the call for now, we can continue through this chat without any problem. Thank you very much for trusting in the just answer.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi Sebastian,
My name is***** don't think I can take photo or video anything. I put the key in turn it to get the ignition lights on and when I turn to start the engine does two turns , stops and the lights go out. Then after some attempts it will start and drive perfectly . Diagnostics from my mechanic shows a fault on the steering column but not sure exactly what. Maybe it's the workings just behind the ignition switch.

Dear Customer when the technician refers to a steering column failure it means that you may be having a problem in the key recognition system, I personally consider that it could be a problem in the starter motor or I also agree with the technician who has indicated the steering column problem, steering column problems are corrected by replacing the key and cylinder assembly if after this the problem persists I would consider dismantling the starter motor and repairing it.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
He also said that the small cracks at the flat end of the key could distort the signalling
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
maybe I should start by getting a new key especially as I only have one

Of course dear customer, wear and tear in these areas can cause problems with key recognition, which is why the vehicle sometimes starts and sometimes does not.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
What's the best and quickest way to get another key.

Personally I would recommend that you call an automotive locksmith company and have them make you a new key and also check if the cylinder needs to be replaced immediately.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks very much for now. I will go for the new key and take it from there.

Dear customer, it is my pleasure to serve you. You may wish to mark me as a favourite expert for future reference. I hope I was able to answer your question. If you would like to ask me another question in the future, you can add me as a Favourite Expert. You will have the option to do so on your "My Questions" page or you can request me by name on the site if you wish. My name is @Exp-JoseSebas Thank you for trusting Justanswer.