How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Russell H. Your Own Question
Russell H.
Russell H., Computer Support Tech
Category: Microsoft
Satisfied Customers: 12035
Experience:  Years of supporting users of Microsoft software
Type Your Microsoft Question Here...
Russell H. is online now

my mother in law at 81 years old went off on her own and was

Customer Question

my mother in law at 81 years old went off on her own and was sold an HP Pavillion PC with windows 8 installed, the shop loaded office 2013 SUDENT on for her at a price of £109 after a windows update the computer started asking for passwords that had never been installed , the only option we had available was to restore after which office seems to have disappeared although the program file is still there ,we cannot find the card the shop says they put in the box for her with the key code for the program on , is there anyway of recovering this..? as it doesn't seem to have been registered because she had no email address until we set the internet up for her 2 months later, contact with the support dept of the shop has gained us no satisfaction whatsoever any help appreciated , (we still have the receipt for the PC showing office was purchased) and a distain for Fenwicks of Newcastle who have sold an old lady a unit which I think is well over her requirements at the pricely sum of £800 for someone who needed an entry level PC she could use for word processing and contact with her family abroad - Any help on the key recovery would be gratefully appreciated - Regards ***** *****
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Microsoft, unfortunately, is very strict and retentive about their licensing etc.

But, you could apply to them for a replacement CD for the license you still hold. "Them" meaning either Microsoft (unlikely to do more than offer to sell you a new copy), or Fenwicks (if they didn't provide the install CD with the issue of MS Office Student, they are strictly speaking not within their rights... if you purchase software, you have a right to the CD for it. Stores often keep the CDs, heaven knows why.

If your Mother-in-law is not absolutely hooked on Microsoft Word, she might be able to use Open Office instead - available and installable free of charge. It's Writer software is good enough for composing documents.

There is also Google Docs, which is free for those who register for (or, already have) a Google account or a GMail account.

Or you could compain to Fenwicks central customer support number, and ask for a return-and-refund arrangement for the PC in question. And buy elsewhere, better.