Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues
32989067

Who do I speak to about a Microsoft edge opens then crashes

Who do I speak to about a Microsoft edge opens then crashes issue?
Hi there and welcomeCan you can speak to me on this.Whats the exact message you get when you try to open Microsoft Edge Paul? And is it the only program giving you an issue?Please let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I open anything that is related to edge it flashes open then closes, so any message that is apparent I cannot see but it all happens too quick
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you still there?
ThanksCan you do the following pleasePress the windows key + R and type in%appdata%Press enterThen click at the top of the new window on localThen on PackagesRight click on the folder with Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe and choose delete. If you get a "Folder Access Denied" prompt, simply clickContinue. Also, there might be some content that you won't be able to delete. If this is the case, in the dialog box, select to skip the files.Once you've tried deleting all the content, go inside theMicrosoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe folder and try deleting the remaining folders by selecting all the folders, right-clicking them, selecting Delete, and clicking Yes to confirm the deletion. You may notice that you can't delete AC folder, but that's alright.Restart your computer.Then Open the Start menu, search for Windows PowerShell, right-click it from the result, and select Run as administrator.Type the following command and hit Enter:cd C:\Users\UseYourUsername. (Remember to replace "UseYourUsername" with your user account name.)Then, type the following command exactly and hit Enter:Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml" -Verbose}Make sure you do not get an errorOnce done, try to open EdgeI can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.Else let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have done this and have opened the box but I cannot see Local???
Ok, then first click AppData at the top then you see it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I have no app data I am in a AppD Roaming file
By Pressing %appdata% it takes me to C:\Users\Paul\AppData\Roaming
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry got it now!!
thats ok!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So if you remote in is the cost £28 + the £26 ?
correct, its optional else I will happily continue supporting you here via messaging.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will stick with this? I have deleted the Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe and cannot find anymore with the same name ??
There is only one folder with that name
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok I have deleted it, when I restart how will I get back to you if needed?
Well, you need to return anyway Paul, at least to complete the rest of my instructions and also for the service rating when we are finished.So you return to this web page (press CTRL + D to add it to your favorites)Or check your emails with a link back here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Richard I have done what you have suggested but still not working ??
When you typed this command into powershellGet-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml" -Verbose}What was the exact message you received as I believe this was not done correctly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is what it says
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did you get my image ?
yes, and that the instructions we not done right sorrythe part you did wrongThen Open the Start menu, search for Windows PowerShell, right-click it from the result, and select Run as administrator.Type the following command and hit Enter:cd C:\Users\UseYourUsername. (Remember to replace "UseYourUsername" with your user account name.)Then, type the following command exactly and hit Enter:Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml" -Verbose} You did not add the CD first
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are they spaces between the under score
you mean here?$_.InstallLocationNo, no space there
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok all done but still not working
thank you, ***** ***** you can understand I need to ensure all my instructions are done correctly.Are you now getting any error message when Edge fails to open?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it just comes up and then closes very quickly with no message, if you remote is it a fixed cost ???
yes, its a fixed cost, the amount show, nothing more.Do you want to go that route or keep going here?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Let's go that route
ok, accept the offer please so I can do the connection
Thank you Can you go to www.teamviewer.com Click on Download for Free Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
###-##-####2798
thanks, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you connected
yes, please check your chat box there
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Richard I have a scanning and repairing drive, but it is hanging on 12% ?
yes thats ok, means its dealing with and repairing issues, as I mentioned it can take some time. Its not hung, please let it continue and do not cancel itIt will complete
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok how long are you around for ?
a number of hours yet, enough to see this through :-)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok cool
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's still on12 %
yes, as I mention Paul, it can take some time, even a few hours, it will finish, so we need to be patient and let it complete please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's still on 12%
lots of issues on the computer then Paul, but it will complete, good you do this as you may have major issues in the near future with the computer if not.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I will keep going
thanks Paul, as I said, its fixing a lit of things. When everything is ok it takes 10 minutes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok it's now done, now what ??
now test if you have the problem Paul.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Team viewer?
No, test if you still have the problem with Edge Paul
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still the same !
ok, disconnect the internet to the computerMake sure you get no internet, so no page shows.Then try to open Edge.Does it open when you have no internet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
you did this test in 30 seconds, so turned off internet? How did you turn internet off?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Turned the switch for wi-fi off on my computer ?
yes, and it shows no web page to make sure?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing just my desk top do you want me to boot up TEAM V
no cant connect with no internet, just want to insure the computer has no internet, it shows now web pages now correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The computer has no internet and no pages showing
thanks, ***** ***** edge closes right?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes opens and closes
Thanks, ***** ***** no internet do the below pleaseSelect the Start button, and then select Settings.Select Accounts > Other users.Under Other users, select Add someone else to this PC.At the bottom of the page, select I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.At the bottom of the next page, select Add a user without a Microsoft account.Enter a name for the new account. If you want this person to sign in with a password, enter and verify the password, add a password ***** and then select Next.Select FinishTell me when you have created this account please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I select add someone else, blue spins then goes back to same prompt not giving me the option
ok, enable internet and try again please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Under add some else I have ASP.NET machine account
yes, but you add your own account, if your having difficulties with the instructions, its ok, enable internet so I can connect again and run team viewer please and give me the password.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok
yes, you need to click Add someone else to this PC.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
###-##-####7393
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have tried that as you will see
connecting
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just rebooting
thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still not able to add blue circle of death !
ok, when did this edge problem start?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It has never really worked since I upgraded to W10
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Which was about a month ago
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have checked and I have the updated version
ok, then the issue is your going to have to do a clean install, not being able to even add a user is a major issue.Programs you will need to install again, but do you have all your data backed up off the computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I also use 1tb drive which I back up to
ok, good workNow we will be doing a clean install of windows, so if everything is backed up, then hold SHIFT and with it held, click on Restart like restarting your computer, and keep shift held down until it has restarted and your at a menu.Choose Troubleshoot, reset my pc, and choose to erase everything.This reinstalls windows 10 clean so it will then function correctly and edge will then open.Let me know how you go please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok done that it is now preparing
thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I fully clean or just remove my files?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When this is done do I then restore back up ?
What do you mean by restore backup?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry the data in my other drive ?
correct, you can copy the files back And do a full clean
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This will take a long time ??
It can, but no more then an hour usually
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you ok to keep going then ?
I am off in 1 1/2 hours so if its before then I will be on.