Richard, Software Engineer
Experience:  Over 15 year experience resolving Microsoft Office Issues

I have a version of Microsoft Publisher 2010 which is

I have a version of Microsoft Publisher 2010 which is suddenly failing to save Publisher files in pdf format....

Hi there and welcome

What exact happens when you try to save the file as a PDF? Is it giving you a specific error? If so, what is the error message

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just says Publisher cannot save file

ok, which version of windows are you using, and is it only for saving as PDF or it cannot save any files

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Using Windows 10. Publisher saves Publisher files ok

Can you press the windows key + X and click on Control Panel

Then click on Programs, uninstall a program

Then click on Publisher, then change then repair.

Once done, restart and tell me if it now works please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How will I know when Publisher has been repaired?

when the repair process finishes when you do my instructions

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm probably being impatient. Repair process has finished. Have restarted Publisher and tried to save file, but still saying Publisher cannot save file as pdf, but saves file as a Publisher file.

ok, do the following please

Press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then tell me if publisher works correctly please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says I have to be an administrator to run this utility

yes, you did not do this step correctly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Village idiot this end - utility now running

no problem, thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Utility still running so have not got to 'chkdsk /r' stage yet, but when the computer re-starts will I not be cut off from you?

yes, but return to this web page and post a message on the results please

how did you go with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again
Sorry but scanow reported no problems....chkdsk ran and repaired for 3 hours. Have tried publisher again but still not saving file as a pdf. Nor would it save an old Publisher file I used as a check, both earlier and now.

ok, download CutePDF Writer from my link below please

It is free

When you install it it will add a printer to your computer, it's a virtual one.

Once added, print the file to this printer and tell me if that converts it to a PDF please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I seem to have been e to save it.

ok, you could use this (it is exactly the same) else you would need to attempt a reinstall of Publisher

Do you have the installer here now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No - it's been four years nearly since I bought it ad I think it was bought online and downloaded from Microsoft. don't have a back up copy without doing quite a search, which I don't have time for now. For the moment, I think I'll try using the file I have.

yes, the program I gave you is free and does exactly the same thing so in this situation its best just to use this

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.