JamesI
JamesI, Other
Experience:  James has experience providing 3rd lines support for a range of office apps, from 2000 to 2013, including project and visio.
75967336

My bt/yahoo mail has stopped syncing with outlook - do I

my bt/yahoo mail has stopped syncing with outlook - do I have to modify my outlook settings

Hi Noel,

I have seen a recent issue last week with another BT customer how had an issue, is it just Outlook you use to view your mail or do you use a mobile device and web mail as well?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can see my e mails when I log in to BT mail plus they come through on my mobile. Emails stopped syncing wit outlook in Mid Jul 17 for some reason - my wife has the same issue on her laptop

Are you able to send e-mails from outlook?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No can't receive or send

Have you tried removing the account and re-adding it within outlook

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No - by doing that will I screw up my existing account?

It depends if your using POP3 or IMAP to view your e-mails.

POP3 stores e-mails locally, while IMAP stores them on the BT Servers so all the folders etc you setup will be re-downloaded.

If you go into your account and tell me the incoming and outgoing addresses and long with what encryption and port they are running on I can confirm if these are up to date if that would help.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the only thing I can find in settings is IMAP - nothing about ports

Ok when your in account settings window, click on the email account then the button which says change

The incoming and outgoing server should be set to mail.btinternet.com, then click on more settings button, and click the advanced tab to view the ports and type of encryption.

Please let me know if you would prefer me to arrange for a secure remote session.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Incoming IMAP 993 - Out going SMTP 465

And what is the encryption set too?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
SSL/TLS

Are you using Office 2013?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Office 2016

Thats unusual as that option isnt normally shown, not to worry.

On the change account window, is the username containing the @btinternet.com or just the part before the @ symbol?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
before the @ symbol

Ok, and your confident your using the correct password.

What error comes up when you press the Test Account Settings button?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Log onto incoming mail server (IMAP): Your server unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Send test email message: The operation timed out waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

I think I would be inclined, to remove the mailbox and re-add it.

The wizard should be able to re-establish the settings and get the mailbox re-sync'd

On the account settings page, click remove, then click the New button and follow the wizard to re-add the account.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK - set up new account

Let me know how it goes, and if you get an error after its completed the self test.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No Errors after testing - all test completed but still not synced - and not sending e mails from outlook - yet a microsoft test message has appeared in my BT mail box
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do I need a hard reboot?

It wont do any harm, but that shouldnt make any difference.

At the bottom of the outlook window next to where it says connected what other text is shown, for instance does it say all folders are up to date?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
when I open outlook - there is a red x shown icon - also in bottom right corner is an icon saying working offline - which is not the case as I'm online
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is my outlook 2016 corrupt?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also the test shows all as being ok

It sounds like your in offline mode.

in outlook go to the send and receive tab at the top ribbon, then click the work offline button.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yep that's worked - thanks a million for your patience

Glad we got there in the end, so I can close the case please rate the service using the star rating on this page.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
first class