jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  A+ Comptia Certified computer repair
63323962

I got some very good advice from you in the past. I am

Customer Question

Hi, I got some very good advice from you in the past. I am wondering if you can help me. I host a windows 10 workstation that acts as a host machine to various vmware virtual machines running on an windows 7 environment. Each virtual machine runs off its own dedicated IP using a VPN.The internet when I test the speed on the host using the VPN is in the region of 40Mbps but when I run the VPN in the virtual machine on vmware it drops to literally 1Mbps. I really need to get this fixed as its hindering what I am able to do on the virtual machine.
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

Have you checked the vCPU and NIC settings sounds like you have the bandwidth throttled down in vCentre

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It’s VMware workstation. How do I check this?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If I go into edit hardware settIngs and network it’s a bridged connection which shows unlimited bandwidth incoming and outgoing. The data only decreases when I connect to the vpn in the virtual machine if I’m just using the internet in the VMware it’s at an acceptable speed
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

Ok, what VPN solution are you using?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It’s a dedicated up from Vpnuk but again the actually vpn can run on the host fine it’s only when it’s ran in the virtual environment that it drops to a shockingly low rate
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

But whats the underlying technology, what encapsulation is it using.

Ive not come across them, but imagine they are using technology this isnt compatible with virtualisation, when you have the VPN in place whats the ping time to something like google.com

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
openvpn-gui I take it that its their own software programme. Running one virtual machine at the moment - its pinging at 0.0 with a download speed of 19Mbps this fluctuates like made and when I run a few virtual machines drops to 1. My internet is 150Mbps unthrottled virgin business broadband
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
download speed on same host machine 125Mbps as at that test
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

Right and whats it like without the VPN running, and with multiple VM's does it change (without the VPN running), its not so much about the actual speed but the variance in performance.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
in virtual environment without VPN running. Ping 139ms. Download 84.8 and upload 12. Runs very well. Connected to VPN its sluggish I press a link it takes forever to do anything. Shows ping at 0.0 and download at 10.7 and upload at 0.59
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
with multiple virtual running its maintaining the high speed without vpn running and performance well. Its a very good spec workstation.
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

Can you check that again, as it cant be a 0ms ping.
Test again with and without VPN and let me know ping and traceroot details to google.com

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
is there a specific site you want me to use
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

I think you will find your NIC is the point of failure or the rooting table, the site is google.com

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no i mean for testing ping speed etc
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

Run a ping test from command prompt to google.com

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
how do I do that sorry
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

No problem on Windows 7, you need to go to Start > Run and type CMD
When that loads type in the prompt ping google.com
Once that completes type tracert google.com

Then repeat the process again once you have start up the VPN

Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

Once complete, right click the prompt select select all, press enter, then copy and paste the results into this forum. There isnt anything in there which is sensitive.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ping average 51ms
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
tracert doing a lot of things what do you need
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
this is with VPN on
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

The average from a wired connection on a 50mbps circuit is about 7ms, what is it without VPN

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
its still doing this tracert thing
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

It will probably time out, press CTRL + C to stop it

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

*** [Version ***] Copyright (c) ****** Corporation. All rights reserved. C:***.com Pinging * * * Request timed out. 17 * * * Request timed out. 18 * * * Request timed out. 19 * * * Request timed out. 20 * * * Request timed out. 21 * * * Request timed out. 22 * * * Request timed out. 23 * * * Request timed out. 24 * * * Request timed out. 25 * * * Request timed out. ***

Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

Thats for the VPN I assume, where is the one without VPN?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
is any of this sensitive as its public
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

No we can have it removed the most sensitive bit is the reference to your data going via ilford exchange so you must live in Essex.

Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

There is no public IP so no way to find out your IP etc, if thats what your worried about

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
im trying to send you the other one and justanswer is saying its already sent obviously it isnt lol
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

The joys of technology, maybe refresh the page and try and resend

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

***[Version ***] Copyright (c) 2009 ***. All rights reserved. C:\Users>*** Pinging google.com *** with 32 bytes of data: * * * Request timed out. *** Trace complete. C:\Users\>c***

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
got it
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

Right so the routing is all working when you compared the two your less than 10ms apart, if you run it on the host it will be half that speed again but thats not a bad latency.

So it has to be about bandwidth \ throughput not connectivity.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what can I do?
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

Ok with the VPN open in command prompt type ping bbc.co.uk -l 65000

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

*** [Version ****] Copyright (c) 2009 ****. All rights reserved. C:\Users\***

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi got to head home from work I will be home in an hourish
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

Ok that doesnt look too bad, and thats putting very large packets of data out over your VPN.

So it has to be the VPN software thats causing the issues as its not physical (you dont have a significant error rate), its not data (as you are able to send large data packets out in under a second), its not network (as trace root shows its finding the destinations in a reasonable time), so it could be transport (but your not having an issue with accessing webpages and can prove its not transport by typing telnet google.com 80 and it will connect), and this leaves security, protocol and application layers left and they are all managed within your VPN software.

Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

I would ask your VPN provider to check the logs within their software, as from what we have shown its not anything relating to the VM, or the base OS build everything is working normally and data is being transported correctly. You may wish to consider speed tests using http://www.speedtest.net/ if you have been using something different to just get a more accurate speed test but the key will be looking at the data which is arriving at the other end.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi James, it was the speed test website that I had been using before you told me about the command prompt. Do you think it will be worthwhile for you to remote connect in? Is there anything else that can be done that will speed this VPN up? The provider insists that they do not do anything that could throttle the speed? What could be causing the internet to only run slower when it is connected to a virtual machine rather than the host machine. Last night was lucky in terms of speed. I could actually live with those speeds but its usually much worse. Like I say with 1Mbps etc. My employee is running around 7 or 8 mind you. Would it be worth you connecting in remotely when he is set up for his day to see whats going on?
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

This is in my opinion the VPN software causing the issue, you can normally expect a bandwidth drop by around 20% when using a VPN due to encapsulation (encryption), it has to be the way the software is trying to bind to the network interface and create the VPN tunnel, as we have proven all the logical elements of the VM build are not an issue through the trace root and ping tests, if you had latency of say 150ms on ping (yours is a third of that), then it may suggest a issue with the VM host configuration.

I would look to try another provider and see if the fault is consistent, you can often find providers offering 1 - 2 day trials for a £1 or 2.

Remote connection would be an unnecessary cost to you, as there isnt anything I could check / verify which you havent done to prove me suspicion around the VPN software not supporting virtual NICs (network cards) properly.

Secondly when you do the test focus on doing you test with no more than 2 VM's as running more than 2 will cause additional confusion over where the fault lies - in essence a PC is not a server and not designed to operate as a VM host so there will be hardware limitations with running more than 3 VM's regardless of the actual CPU and RAM spec, however your issue lies in getting 80 odd mbps without VPN then 1-2mbps with VPN so prove that you can get at least 50mbps with a different VPN and if you cant we can then stat looking at the physical spec of the machine your using and the software your using as a host controller.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi James, there isnt really another provider that does what we need them to do. We run dedicated IP's and the providers that offer these aside from ours dont meet our requirements - we have checked. What I don't understand is why it works so well on our host machine - its only when ran from within the virtual environment that it becomes an issue.If it were the software alone then why is it that we can get a high speed when ran on our normal machine rather than the virtual? It not a server we use but a workstation and its purpose built to run VM's. This is based in an office - we have 24 cores in our processor along with 128Gb of ram to play with. That and a massive SD with back up HDD. I do not see the machine being an issue. Im happy for you to come up with another solution, if you think there is one and I am grateful for what you have suggested but I might need to get a second opinion mate. Let me know your thoughts.
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

As mentioned earlier the issue is most likely software related in a VM environment the NIC is visualised, so its down to how the software supports virtual NIC's thats likely to be the issue and why the fault isnt present on the physical host OS.

There is far more to a server topology than CPU, Ram and Storage, its the ability for the BUS to take the bandwidth of data, the chipset and hardware eg PCI, NIC's, Serial Bus to support virtualisation.

What platform are you using to manage and host the VM's?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi James, they are using VMware workstation 14 pro. The host runs on windows 10 pro.
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

The Host OS your using isnt supported by VMWARE -

Host Operating Systems (64-bit)

• Ubuntu 14.04 and above
  • Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 & above
  • CentOS 6.0 and above
  • Oracle Linux 6.0 and above
  • open SUSE Leap 42.2 and above
  • SUSE Linux 12 and above
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

However in other sections it shows it is (see below) I have found the subsequent article they published confirming windows 10 64 bit is supported here. Personally I think the issue is the VPN software doesnt support virtual NIC's.

I am still unclear who advised you a workstation build would be suitable as a VM host though, do let me know if that was someone from JA.