jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  A+ Comptia Certified computer repair
63323962

I’ve been asking for help with this error for the last hour

Customer Question

I’ve been asking for help with this error for the last hour or more and all I’ve had is a series of questions about eg my email address (which you don’t accept) and all sorts of security codes (which I wasn’t asking you about).I just want you to put right what’s wrong with my WORD.Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0Error Signature:
Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS
Date/Time: 2018-04-04 14:55:02 +0000
Application Name: Microsoft Word
Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Word
Application Signature: MSWD
Application Version: 14.7.5.170531
Crashed Module Name: Microsoft Word
Crashed Module Version: 14.7.5.170531
Crashed Module Offset: 0x002feea0
Blame Module Name: Microsoft Word
Blame Module Version: 14.7.5.170531
Blame Module Offset: 0x002feea0
Application LCID: 1033
Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0409
Crashed thread: 0I am rapidly losing the will to live. And I can’t get on with some urgent work.Dr R V Bailey
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Cynt replied 5 months ago.

You can try starting Word while holding the Shift key and see if it will give that bad error. If it still does that you will have to perform the following:

If Word is correctly installed, there are two things that can go wrong:

• Your Normal.dotm template
  • Your personal preferences and settings

There is no way to bypass one or the other with Shift, so you need to do this manually. It involves some detective work. You can try the following steps in sequence, or do them separately or in reverse. The idea is to identify which is corrupt: your Normal template, your preferences or both.

1) Bypass the Normal template

• Quit Word
  • Go to the Finder
  • Select Go > Go to Folder
  • In the field, type this: ~/library (don't forget the twiddle ~)
  • Locate this folder: Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates
  • Drag file Normal.dotm to the Desktop (in case something goes awfully wrong, you can place it back)
  • Start Word and test

If Word works OK, you are done. If not, the fault should be your preferences, although there is a chance that both parties are involved. So, even though at this point you could restore your Normal template to its natural folder, might be better leave it on the Desktop for now.

2) Bypass your Word preferences

• Repeat the first four bulleted steps from before
  • Locate this folder: Preferences
  • Drag file com.microsoft.Word.plist to the Desktop
  • Start Word and test

If Word works OK, you are done. If not, try dragging other preference files, such as com.microsoft.office.plist. You can drag anything starting with com.microsoft… out of that folder, but the less things you drag out, the less your current preferences will be changed.

Expert:  Cynt replied 5 months ago.

I can't do a secure remote at this time. Did you want me to put this ticket back into the queue for someone to help you with the secure remote?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If you can really do this you're a star – and I'm in your debt for ever!
Expert:  Cynt replied 5 months ago.

I will put the question back into the queue since I am not able to do a secure Remote at this time. It might take a bit for another Expert to come online to help you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If you can put this right remotely I'd be enormously grateful – it's all a foreign language to me, and I have no local Mac help., so without your help I'd be really stuck. Thank you. RVB
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
email would be easier at my end than phone, if it's all the same to you... and thank you in advance for taking the trouble.
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

Right the best thing to do is do a remote session as you suggest.

To confirm your using a Mac rather than a PC?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
8211; a Mac not a pc. Hope that's not a problem.
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

There is an additional charge for remote assistance of $20, otherwise I can provide a response to you via sending you message through this forum

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'd be glad of your remote help thanks.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Gives me a chance to get a quick shower! Back on watch in 15 mins...
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

No problem as your using a Mac we first need to get Java installed, please click here then download and install Java.

Once complete you need to go to secure remote assistance here, and click the green I agree button then run the Screen Connect program which is downloaded.

Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

Depending on your settings you may have to hold down the command key and click the screen connect program to be given the option to run it.

Let me know once Java and Screen Connect have been run.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm not sure if Java has downloaded yet – can you tell remotely?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm not sure where to look for it.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Let alone where Screen Connect is...
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

Ok what web browser are you using?

Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

If it would help I can give you a call and you can talk me through what you see?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry – I think it's Chrome. Or Google.
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

Ok, so you went to the Java website clicked download java for free, did you see a Java download appear at the bottom of the browser?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I clicked download for free
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

That then gives another red button which stays 'agree and start download' did you click that?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry to be so dim. Yes – and the clock on the bottom left of the screen seemed to be ticking away, but no DONE appeared.
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

Ok does the click still seem to be moving along (it may still be downloading)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There's a green tick so I guess it's done.
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

Ok if you click i there should be an option to run or open it?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
not visible to me – I suppose it may be on the desktop?
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

Java needs to be installed, if its downloaded you should be able to run it, and it will load up a dialog box. Can you see if anything has been minimised?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can't see anything that remotely resembles Java on the desktop, and there's no dialogue box either.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Nothing in the dock either. Java's a computer language isn't it?
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

The program you downloaded is Java Run Time is the software which lets java programs run.

Go to the location where you downloads are saved then see if you can see program called jre-8u161 (or something similar) and run that

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Now I’ve lost your page on the screen..
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's installed now
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

Great, now you need to go here and download screen connect by clicking the green I agree button.