JamesI
JamesI, Other
Experience:  James has experience providing 3rd lines support for a range of office apps, from 2000 to 2013, including project and visio.
75967336

I have just downloaded a key for Windows 10 pro as I want to

I have just downloaded a key for Windows 10 pro as I want to use bitlocker. When I try to encrypt I get message provider load failure.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I now wonder whether the key supplied is legitimate
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am able to encrypt removable drives

Hi Andrew, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

Most serial numbers are linked to the variant of windows, not just pro, premium, home etc, but you get OEM, Retail, Student etc within each of the editions.

The error you get, is that while running whole disk encryption?

In most cases it points to the TPM not being enabled, so its worth checking the BIOS to see if this has been enabled, and also the device specification to check the device comes with a TPM on the motherboard.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How do I do that
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I clicked on Secure Remote Assistance and it appeared to process the payment. Can you let me know your times of business as I have to go to work shortly. I will then try to contact you later.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If my all in one desktop is not TPM enabled is it possible to use bitlocker?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry got to go to work. Will pick up conversation later

No problem remote assistance isnt viable at the moment, as your issue may be hardware related.

If its not needed we can refund you for the additional charge, no issue.

Where TPM is not fitted you can still use bitlocker, but it does enable the drive to be used externally rather than locking it to a machine, which potentially enables brute force attacks.

There is a very good article here, which explains how to my the GP changes on your machine to enable Bitlocker to work without TPM fitted.

Have a read of the article and come back to me.

Out of interest why are you looking to use Bitlocker over other encryption technologies?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Followed the instructions and it still does not work. It comes up with provider load failure. I just want to encrypt the drive to ensure I meet GDPR which comes into orce 25th May.

Hard disk encryption doesnt make you compliant with GDPR, having policies and process in place would however.

Do you get the same error if trying to encrypt an external drive?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I appreciate it is policies and procedures that make you compliant. I am treasurer to a couple of clubs and hold data on the computer. I wish to encrypt so if someone steals my pc or backup harddrive (I use SyncToy) they will have to know the encryption key to access info. I do password ***** the excel files that I use for those clubs.
The other answer to the other question is that there is no error when encrypting the removable drives or USB stick. When I view them in Explorer it looks blank unless I enter the encryption code.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am sorry for the delay in replying to your messages.

Right so we know the OS has enabled encryption on the drive, so we can be confident the serial key has been accepted.

With regard to your current setup is the plan to use SyncToy to sync to another drive already encrypted, or are you planning to store on the cloud.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I actually do both

Ok so bitlocker will not encrypt the content which is going on to the cloud. The way it works is it encrypts the drive not the files, so for example you could email a file to someone and its not encrypted.

The best option is to use something like PGP which can package up the files into an encrypted file, and you need a password ***** open the file, or ZIP the files up using a password ***** enable encryption WinRar offer this function, but that would only be needed for when storing the content on non-encrypted media which bitlocker would be managing.

With regard to your wider issue it point

Hi Ive not heard back from you do you still require assistance?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I thought I had replied. I will look at the packages rather than using Bit Blocker. Thank you for your help.

No problem, appreciate if you can rate the service received using the star rating at the top of this page.