ChrisC
ChrisC, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  15 years as a professional computer technician.
56108293

Someone phoned this morning saying I have troubles with my

Someone phoned this morning saying I have troubles with my pc (I have had, for the past week). They said it was Microsoft - they activated my keyboard remotely after I followed their instructions. ARE THEY AUTHENTIC, OR HAS THIS BEEN ONE BIG SCAM?

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you with this!

These phone calls are NOT legitimate. This is a scam that is going around right now where someone will call you and tell you that you have some kind of problem with your computer and they will pitch you on some kind of support service to fix the problems. The whole thing just a ploy to get money from you.

Sometimes these companies will claim to be Microsoft or Apple or some other well-known company. This is always a lie. Those companies do not contact customers directly to offer support.

Furthermore, no one is monitoring your computer for problems. The only way someone could do that would be if you installed specialized software on the machine and explicitly granted them permission to do so.

Many people are receiving these calls right now, so you are not the only one. If you receive calls like this in the future, simply ignore them.

If you have any other questions on this, just let me know and I'll be happy to answer them for you. If you happened to give them any money, then you can contact your bank and request what's called a chargeback and they will try to recover the funds.

NOTE: If you have no further questions, please use the rating box at the top of the page to rate the answer at least 3 STARS or better so that I receive credit for assisting you. Just click to rate.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Oh my God! What can I do now to protect myself and my pc, and my money? How can I stop this 'Windows Task Master' that is still going on in my pc?

I can take a look at your computer and run a security check on it.

In order to get me connected, here's what I need from you on your end.

Click on the following link:

http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=94586879-39f3-4fd9-9ebc-85007d5a2830

When the next page opens up, click the green I Agree button. This should download a small program called Elsinore.Screenconnect.

Run that program and say Yes/OK to all security prompts and it should then connect me.

Any luck? It still says, "Waiting for Guest" on my side.