Bing
Bing, Senior IT Consultant
Experience:  MCSD / MCSE / Microsoft MVP Reconnect
96068672

I have a problem with my laptop. Shutting down, it reported

Customer Question

I have a problem with my laptop. Shutting down, it reported that programs had to close before shutting down. I thought it was after updating a PCB design program, so tried restoring to a date before the update. Basically, the restore failed. Now it will not start windows (windows 7). My laptop is rather old by today’s standards, a Fujitsu lifebook with a P6200 processor at 2.13GHz and windows 7 premium. The hard disk is a 500GB ssd. (I still have the original mechanical disk, that the ssd replaced approximately 2 or 3 years ago. In fact, the original disk is currently installed in the laptop and is the only way I can run Win7.
Using a USB adapter, I can read/use/write files from the ssd. However, I would like to restore the ssd without losing all the work that has been done since it was installed.
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Bing replied 12 days ago.
Hello, this is Bing helping you here today. Are you talking a Windows 7? If yes, what’s the error message when you load the PCB software?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It is windows 7. But the problem is not with the PCB software. The problem is that windows recovery fails, and windows will not start.
Expert:  Bing replied 12 days ago.
Can your Windows 7 boot into its safe mode?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
If I select safe mode I get a message saying ‘windows is loading files’, followed by ‘Your computer was unable to start - startup repair is checking your system for problems...’ the activity bar showing ‘Attempting repairs...’ then runs. I have left it running like that for several hours..
Expert:  Bing replied 12 days ago.
If so, please try the following commands in a Command Prompt window under safe mode

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

sfc /scannow

FYI -

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I can’t get the command prompt window. When I select ‘command prompt mode’ I get exactly the same response as before (loading files, then ‘your computer was unable to start’ and the attempting repairs message.
Expert:  Bing replied 11 days ago.
Do you have important files on this computer?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Yes, there are important files, but I am able to access them by removing the ssd, then use my old mechanical disk in the computer, and use a USB adapter to access the ssd. I think I need to make a disk image of all these files while the ssd is being accessed via the USB adapter, but am unsure how to do this.
Expert:  Bing replied 11 days ago.
Good to know that you are familiar with the steps to manually back up your important files from a “dead” PC to somewhere safe using a working computer.

Now I guess I only need to explain how to rebuild the PC and Windows from the scratch.

1. Download Windows 7 ISO image files from Microsoft. You may need to provide a valid product key to see a workable download link for genuine Windows 7.

2. Convert the ISO image into a bootable USB drive. Utilities such Rufus or PowerISO can do it.
3. Use the generated Windows 7 USB installer to boot your Windows 7 then install everything from the scratch.