SaloniM
SaloniM,
Experience:  Expert
110384226

My mum (86) has set a pin on her account and now can’t

Customer Question

Hi my mum (86) has set a pin on her account and now can’t remember it, so can’t get into her computer. I’m trying to reset it for her but she can’t remember old passwords for the form. Can you help at all?
JA: What application are you using?
Customer: It’s just the general Office login form
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: they install automatically I think. I don’t live with her, just visiting
JA: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: i don’t think so?
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  SaloniM replied 5 days ago.

Hi there and welcome to Just Answer tech support, I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble. I look forward to helping you. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Please follow the below steps to resolve the issue.

1. Make sure you're connected to the internet.

2. Select Start > Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options.

3. Select Windows Hello PIN > I forgot my PIN and then follow the instructions.

The PIN you use to access your device is different from your Microsoft account password. If you need to reset your Microsoft account password, go to account.microsoft.com, select Sign in and follow the instructions. Next, select Your info > Profile > Change your password > Change and then follow the instructions. If you're worried that someone has unauthorized access to your account, see Recover your Microsoft account and Security info & verification codes.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi yes I know it’s different, but the reset form asks for previous passwords and she can’t remember those either
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I’ll just have another go first, not sure about allowing remote access
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I’m selecting the option to get a phone call with the code, but nothing happens
Expert:  SaloniM replied 5 days ago.

In this case, the only option is to fill out the recovery form by following the below steps:

1. Open account.live.com/acsr to use the account recovery form where you'll provide the email address, phone number, or username for the account you are trying to recover.
  2. Provide a different email address, other than the one you are trying to recover, which we can use to contact you about your request.
  3. Enter the characters you see on the screen to prove you're not a robot, then select Next.
  4. A screen will pop up asking you to verify the contact email address. Check that email for a message from Microsoft with the security code, enter that code, then select Verify.
  5. Fill in as much info as you can, even if you're not sure.

6. Select Submit when you're finished, and Microsoft will respond within 24 hours.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I’ve tried that twice but it’s asking for previous passwords used and she can’t remember those either
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
then I just get emails saying the information doesn’t match. Surely there’s a way around this? She’s housebound and needs the computer
Expert:  SaloniM replied 5 days ago.

Please click on the below link and try filling the form and wait for Microsoft"s reply. This will surely resolve the issue.

https://account.live.com/acsr

In case if that doesn't go well then you need to reset your computer but in that case, all the data present on the computer system will also get erased.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
No it doesn’t, as I said, I’ve tried this several times and she can’t remember the previous passwords that the form requires
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
How do I reset the computer if I can’t log in to it?
Expert:  SaloniM replied 5 days ago.

May I know which windows OS you are using on your computer? Is it windows 7, 8, or 10?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I’m not sure, it’s my mums computer.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Maybe 10?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Is it always a 4-digit pin?
Expert:  SaloniM replied 5 days ago.

Click on the below link and follow the steps to resolve the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_0GHM1FsBg