SaloniM
SaloniM,
Experience:  Expert
110384226

Cannot send emails, bt.com, laptop, non, no

Customer Question

cannot send emails
JA: Who is your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.)?
Customer: bt.com
JA: How do you usually access your email? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: laptop
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: non
JA: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  SaloniM replied 10 days ago.

Hi there and welcome to Just Answer tech support, I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble. I look

forward to helping you. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

May I know what exact error you are getting while sending an email?

Expert:  SaloniM replied 10 days ago.

Without the information requested  in my previous response, I can only give you a general answer, but I hope this helps.

To fix this you need to make a simple change to enable SMTP server authentication in the email client you're using.

SMTP stands for Simple Mail Transfer Protocol, which is a process that enables the sending of email. Authentication is a method of identifying the origin of emails that stops them from being sent anonymously and helps to combat spam.

To protect our email server from abuse by spammers, we only allow our own customers to use it. We do this by insisting that all emails sent through BT Mail have SMTP authentication to prove where they came from.

Most spamming activity originates from users of unauthenticated email. By removing the ability to send emails without authentication, spam should be significantly reduced.

Setting up an email program and enabling SMTP authentication is easy. SMTP authentication is usually switched on by ticking a box called "My server requires authentication" in the settings of your email program.

Regards,

Saloni