Sudipto
Sudipto, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Computer Hardware EngineerCertificate Course In Computer Maintenance,8+ years of Experience in computer troubleshooting
15197395

I am unable to get updates added. They seem to install OK, I

Customer Question

I am unable to get updates added. They seem to install OK
JA: What application are you using?
Customer: I am unable to get updates added. They seem to install OK but fail during the configure operation. It appears to get to 98% complete then failure to configure comes up and the updates are then undone. I have tried several times without success. Each attempt takes 20 minutes. Can you advise how to overcome the problem?
JA: The Microsoft Office Technician will be able to walk you through that. Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Not lately.
JA: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, Windows live mail is refusing to send messages because the server does not recognize me, but the identity its sees and notes is correct.
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 days ago.

Hi!
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you today.I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.I am currently reviewing your question, if you have any extra information please let me know.

Expert:  Sudipto replied 3 days ago.

Hi!, I was going through my old questions and I saw that you have not replied to me back, without the information requested in my previous response, I can only give you a general answer, but I hope this helps.

I understand from the provided information that you unable to install updates. We need some more information to assist you in a better way.

Have you logged in as an Administrator?

We request you to try following steps and check if these help in resolving the Windows update issue.

Method 1: Run Windows update troubleshooter.

a.       Press Windows + W key on the keyboard.

b.      Type troubleshooting in the search tab and press Enter.

c.       Click View all on left panel.

d.      Click Windows Update, new window will popup.

e.       Follow the on screen instructions.

Method 2: Run the DISM tool

a.       Press Windows key + X.

b.      Click command prompt (Run as administrator).

c.       In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press the Enter key after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

d.      To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.
e. Run Windows Update again.

You may to the link for additional troubleshooting steps.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358#method1

Hope this helps. If the issue persists or any Windows related queries or issues, please get back to us. We are here to assist you.