Sheri
Sheri, Technical Support Expert Consultant
Experience:  Owner/Consultant at Computer Rescue, Inc.
100295097

How do you open a powerpoint file when you are prompted to

Customer Question

How do you open a powerpoint file when you are prompted to "open with" rather than "open".
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  Sheri replied 9 days ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer, an independent question and answer portal. My name is Sheri. I am sorry that you are experiencing this issue. I know it can be frustrating. I am happy to assist you and will do my best to resolve it for you quickly.

*Please note: You may see offers for Premium Services pop up. These offers are automatically generated by the system, not by me. They are optional and do carry an additional charge. We can always continue to work on your solution through messaging.

Your Solution:

This means that the file association got lost. If you still have Powerpoint installed, an easy way, instead is to open Powerpoint first, then browse to that file and open it within Powerpoint. This should pop up a question or box that allows you to check to always open this type of file with that program. Click it to set that.

Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to help you. I really appreciate your patience through this process. My goal is to provide you with excellent service. Please feel free to reply with any questions.

Regards,

Sheri

Expert Level Professional Consultant with over 25 years of experience

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I can locate the file BUT cannot open it with Powerpoint. It's not on the menu of possible apps such as Wordpad or Media Player. I'm directed to the Microsoft Shop but there's no alternative to Powerpoint
Expert:  Sheri replied 9 days ago.

Your Solution:

Regards,

Sheri

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No, I can't open the file with Powerpoint in the first place!
Expert:  Sheri replied 9 days ago.

What happens when you try opening it within Powerpoint? Also do your other Office programs work, such as Word, Excel, etc? You may need to do an office repair. Please follow these steps:

On the bottom left in the search type Control Panel and select it when it comes up in the list. In Control Panel, using the icon at the top right area, change the view to large icons and then select programs and features. Then click to highlight Microsoft Office and click change at the top and on the next screen choose repair and follow the prompts. First do the quick repair and then test. Then do the online repair if needed.

Regards,

Sheri