operab
operab, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Thirteen years of experience providing computer support for fortune 500 companies and government.
22099314

I have just brought a new computer and a virus has come up

Customer Question

Hi I have just brought a new computer and a virus has come up with a windows support number. These guys are asking me for £100 pounds to fix the problem is that right
JA: What application are you using?
Customer: Microsoft, every time I try to get any website I get this message, no other devices are showing this viru
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: i only brought it an hour ago, I phoned the number the first time and he got into the computer and didn’t change anything I watched him then he asked me for money so I told him to bill me. When I tried to open a web page again the same thing happened
JA: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes if I’m going to get charged
Category: Microsoft
Expert:  operab replied 17 days ago.

My name is Aaron.

Those messages could be what is known as phishing messages. I would not visit any websites linked, call any telephone numbers advertised, allow anyone remote access to your computer, or provide any personal information. You could ignore those messages and restart your computer.

If you still receive those messages, you could perform a system restore. Restore your computer back to before you had this issue.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you so much
Expert:  operab replied 17 days ago.

You are welcome.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thanks all done
Expert:  operab replied 17 days ago.

Excellent and you are welcome.