Jake, Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.

My automatic shogun will not go into drive or park the gear

stick is very tight
Are you saying you cannot move the shifter at all? or that it just don't engage in park or drive as if it stays in neutral?
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
at first it sometimes wouldnt start in park then id shake the stick and it would start, then after a couple of days i had to put it into neutral to start, however all the while the gearstick got harder and harder to move between positions. then on day four perhaps when id put it into park it wouldnt properly engage and kind of clicker into it. the next day i couldnt get the stick into drive.
i hope this helps
Gotcha, once you got it in gear and drove the vehicle around. Did it seem like it got easier to shift back into park after driving?
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
It still took a good shove as I couldn't take the key out until it was in park. I let the engine run there this evening for a half an hour to see could I get it into drive when the engine was warm but no luck there either. I also fitted a new vacume solenoid on the bulkhead still no change. There is a light on on the dash when in neutral it's the one with the car skidding and it says it's off. Hope this info takes us further.
The light your referring too is the traction light, but doesn't have much to do with this concern. Since your having actual difficulty MOVING the shifter lever itself into positions we need to rule out the control cable, shifter, etc first to see if the issue is on the shifter side or the transmission side.
Best thing to do is disconenct the control cable from the shift lever at the gearbox and see if the shifter frees up. If the shifter frees up then the issue is on the gearbox side. (most commonly the manual valve) If the shifter remains difficult to move then the binding is happening on the cable/shifter itself.
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
Grand job. Will talk tomorrow cheers.
Sounds good, thanks.
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
Hello jake.
I disconnected the cable and the shift stick is free to move without any problems. What now.
This tells us that more than likely it's the manual valve in the gearbox causing the issue. If you try to move shift rod it will be still still. Not any easy fix for this really, you can have a transmission flush done of the hydraulic system in hopes to clear the valve passages, but a flush at this point is really hit or miss. if you need anything else let me know, if not be sure to leave a kind rating so the site credits me for my time. thanks.
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
Hi there jake.
Supposing it is the manual valve what are the options if a flush doesn't work??
Your only other option is to remove the control valve to replace it, this will require you to partially disassemble the gear box. Not a repair for someone who is not very mechanically inclined.
Customer reply replied 2 years ago.
That's grand. Would fitting a second hand transmission b a cheaper option?
Not necessarily, unless you can get a gear box in good shape for under 800