Jake
Jake, Mitsubishi Mechanic
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have a 1.3 spacestar. I want to change the gear knob And

Hi I have a 1.3 spacestar. I want to change the gear knob And gaiter/ boot but don't know how to remove the existing one. Please could you help me with this? Also, I am having difficulty in finding a replacement. Any ideas?Cheers
Bernard
Hey there, sorry for the delay.The factor shift knobs should just turn counter clockwise to unscrew on the manual gearboxes. The boot is a bit more difficult because you have to remove the center console lid to get behind it and disassemble.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've tried that but the whole thing just turns and turns. This is the lift for reverse type.
Have you tried to pull straight down on the collar at the bottom. There may be a c-clamp underneath it.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry, do you mean the collar beneath the gear knob which is used to engage reverse?
Can you take a picture for me?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Bit late now; I'll try tomorrow if that's ok.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here are two pics.
Bernard what year is your spacestar?I have 2 different removals depending on the year. One says to twist off (threaded) this other is press fitted and glued.
on the exploded parts diagram there was no clip at all, so it must be one of the two methods.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The year is 2004 and it's a spacestar classic 1.3 hope this helps.

Thanks, ***** ***** that one is spinning it should pull straight up. The parts diagram shows nothing holding it in.

We see al kinds of shift knobs, 99% of them either screw on or have a small c-clamp under the collar beneath the know. The lift for reverse though shouldn't have a pull down collar as it lifts up.

If i was there i would lift up on the collar and look for a clip then pull down on it to verify no clip, once that checks out i would simply turn counter clockwise. if there was lots of resistance but it was not coming lose then I would pull straight up.