sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

I have got 1991 gto non turbo. there is problem with

Customer Question

hi! I have got 1991 gto non turbo. there is problem with automatic transmision. car does not accelerating like you expect. driving forward is very slugish. looks like not running on low gears. driving reverse no problem
JA: How many miles are on the Mitsubishi? Is it the original transmission?
Customer: it has 120k . it's orginal japanese model
JA: Are you fixing your GTO yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, i do it myself. there was a problem with idle speed. and one off the injectors fail
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: according to gearbox is quite difficult for me to figure out
Category: Mitsubishi
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 2 years ago.

Hi, my name is***** your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.

I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Could you tell me please if it is automatic or manual and if does it uses petrol or diesel?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Well. Probably you can not see previous messages
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is 3000gt
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Non turbo. Automatic transmision. ...it is not diesel.

Hello dear customer, i apology for my delay. I had to be absent during the weekend due personal issues, but now i am back.

Dear customers but do not feel that the transmission kicks or pushes you sharply when making changes?

Are you sure you don't feel power losses in the engine?
I mean, you are sure that the problem is not due to a failure in the engine rather than in the transmission ?, I ask you this question because many customers confuse power losses with problems in the gearbox and are totally different failures because of this. I would like to know how much time you have without having smoothed up the injection system of your GTO, these maintenance includes injectors and pump, in addition, filter replacement in turn I would like to know what time has generalized maintenance of the air emission system and its respective body I would also like to know how much time you have without having made oil and filter replacement to the automatic transmission?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Engine is ok. Gear box seems to not shifting the gears. Just drives in one gear. I bought the car two monts ago. So I don't have a clue. What was done. Previous owner said that the car stood for two years
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Engine runs fine. But one of the injectors is not working. Been changed. But looks like there is electrical problem. No negtive

Dear customer as this GTO was stopped for so long, it is very likely that the transmission if it requires a good maintenance, what happens is that the viscosity of the oil can be affected both by the time and the route and indeed by what you describe apparently the gearbox has been stuck in a single change, therefore it cannot make gear changes as you move.

This may be because the selenoid body may have stuck and the gear selenoids cannot move due to this, therefore you cannot make the gear changes.

Also the oil is used within the transmission to make the changes as this transmission of this GTO works with pressure difference this means that the pressures of the oils make the changes in the discs in the body of selenoids, if the oil does not has the right viscosity, the transmission cannot generate the pressure necessary to make the changes.

In short, the first thing you should do is a good maintenance of the transmission, I would recommend you first check the connections that arrive at the transmission but it is very likely that you should do a partial disarmament to be able to disassemble the body of selenoids and once disassembled perform a good maintenance to the body of selenoids to unlock and taking advantage of this performs an inspection of the discs.
Finally, it ends up replacing all the transmission fluid and its respective filter.

Have you understood me, dear customer?