sebastian manrique
sebastian manrique, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Director Ejecutivo at Multiservicios Cruz de las Mercedes
100564933

My 2006 Superduke makes a horrible clacking sound on

Customer Question

Hi Pearl my 2006 Superduke makes a horrible clacking sound on starting and also sometimes when switching off. Im afraid it's the sprague clutch. Could it be anything else?
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: No clutch slip. Bike has been well cared for one I=owner before me. only 5000 miles
JA: What is the model of your '06 motorcycle?
Customer: Actually the owners manual says it's a 2005. all orange, orange seat. I've got the chassis number
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I'm not getting involved. I've asked my local dealer for a quote for a sprague clutch replacement but thought I'd get a second opinion.
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's it I think x
Category: Motorcycle
Customer: replied 21 days ago.

my phone number is **********

Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 21 days ago.

Expert:  AlinaK-admin replied 18 days ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Alina-Moderator
Expert:  sebastian manrique replied 16 days ago.

Hi, my name is***** your mechanic automotive expert, and I will be happy to assist you today. In some cases, I may need more information to assist better. I apologize for any delay.

Dear customer, it could be the starter motor although the sounds of the starter motor are characteristic only when the vehicle is going to start, if the vehicle is maikng noise when turning off, it could be other kind of problems, the clicks or sharp sounds when turning on or off are very characteristic of inconveniences at the level of the serpentine belt or accessory belt, usually it is due to the fact that the belt is slack or very worn, so I recommend you check the condition of the belt and if you observe that it still has life (I mean, cracks or wear are visible) try to think about it a bit longer than you are, this will surely eliminate the high-pitched clicking noise.

My goal is to give you the best advice i can, I hope to be helpful, if you have any doubt or want to know anything else please do not hesitate to reply back.
Kind regards, Sebastian.