MichaelUK
MichaelUK, Technician
Experience:  Technician
109796520

Just overhauled my 1978 flh Harley 1200 fresh oil looking

Just overhauled my 1978 flh Harley 1200 fresh oil looking very aerated is this a problem
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: Today
JA: What is the model of your '78 motorcycle?
Customer: 1978 Harley flh 1200
JA: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Bike starts and runs ok. But oil is aerated
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Bike has been rebored new pistons new camshaft,cylinder head etc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok to wait

Dear customer, thank you for choosing Justanswer. My name is***** would like to help you.

Please excuse the long waiting time, there are a lot of requests at the moment, which leads to delays in the answers.

Air bubbles in the oil itself are no problem. Air gets into the oil by circulating the oil or by the movement of the oil. Since the oil is viscous in contrast to water, it takes time for the bubbles to work their way up. This is completely normal and no reason to worry.

What must not be, is the excessive formation of foam. Good oils do not tend to foam or only very slightly. If foam should nevertheless form in larger quantities, this is an indication that a mechanical part is constantly hitting the oil, usually in connection with too high an oil level.

MichaelUK, Technician
Experience: Technician