Phillip H
Phillip H, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Vehicle Technician at Richmond Motor Services
108937146

My son has a Peaggio Zip 50cc 4 stroke and we believe the

My son has a Peaggio Zip 50cc 4 stroke and we believe the throttle cable needs replacing. When the moped starts up, by kick Starting it; Moped requires a new battery, the reves are quite high, due to the cold weather and engine. About a few minutes later the reves begin to climb to the point that they are at there highest, and the rear wheel begins to spin
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: The head lights come on when the engine has started up, so there is some battery life. The Peaggio zip has an electrical start up button, which is not starting up the engine. Starting up the moped requires a Kick Start.
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Make is a Piaggio Zip. LJ08 HXB. Its a Moped. NOT a Car..
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We have cleaned up the Carburettor by spraying it with WD40 Degreaser and the throttle cable is moving more freely now. BUT there is still a delay in the cable returning back to its original position.
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No i belive i have mentioned everything. Thanks.

Hiya

It is unlikely that the throttle cable is at fault here. The Carburettors are fited with an automatic choke that allows the starting of the engine in the cold. This will be operated by a spring system / vacuum system which allows the choke to remain in the on position when cold. As the engine warms up and the throttle is used the action of the throttle usage releases the choke at the appropriate time.

It may be that the choke unit is the issue with either a weak spring or leaking diaphragm on the choke unit causing the issue. I would check this out first using the appropriate service manual for your machine for reference.

Phillip

Phillip H, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Vehicle Technician at Richmond Motor Services
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks Philip. I will look into this. Thanks for your responce.