Phillip H
Phillip H, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Vehicle Technician at Richmond Motor Services
108937146

Purchased just over a month ago now its fauty i have bad

purchased just over a month ago now its fauty i have bad steering wobble i have paperwork and the 600 mile service has not been done this is when things are tweaked and checked i belive this service is most important
JA: Have you checked the fluids?
Customer: im not a mechanic
JA: What year is your 600?
Customer: its a vespa scooter 300cc my question is is the 600 mile service important
JA: Are you fixing your 600 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i do not have a 600
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i purchased vespa 300 gtx abs ie its 2017 reg purchased 2 months ago 2028 miles on clock it now has steering wobble and i have found out that the important first service that bike should of had at 600 miles was not done subsequently this service tweaks things on the bike and because not carried out i belive this is why fault has occured
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i also have falsified work sheet from fowlers bristol which says first service carried out on bike only having done 117 miles i feel this is incorrect and would not of been required at such low mileage and 600 mile service is right time to do service

Hiya

Accusing the dealer of failing to carry out work and providing false information could result in you being charged with the offence of defamation of character!

A service is carried out when it is due.  Usually if the mileage hasn't been reached but the vehicle has reached a certain timescale for instance 6 months then the Service will be carried out irrespective of what mileage has been done.

If you have bad steering wobble it could be a balance issue with the wheel, a bearing that needs adjusting or even the tyre pressure that requires adjustment.  I would suggest seeing as you only bought the bike 2 months ago you take the bike back to the dealer and have them inspect it.  There should be some form of warranty with the bike (usually they give 6 months on a used unit, sometimes a year depending on age of bike).

You have already stated that you are not a Mechanic (so therefore don't go guessing that work hasn't been completed) and you have also stated that you haven't checked the fluids!  Part of ownership of a vehicle be it a car or a bike is to carry out regular checks of the vehicle such as the Fluid Levels, Tyre Pressures, Lights etc.  This is to ensure that it remains in good condition in between services and is safe to use on the road!

'I'm not a Mechanic' will not be a plausible excuse for failing to carry out basic checks should you ever get pulled up by Mr Plod for one of their Vehicle Checks!

Phillip

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
hi i am not accusing dealer of anything the dealer who sold me the bike hasnt carried out a service prior to sale just a 52 point checklist i have work sheets from fowlers from when bike was first serviced 2018 at only doing 117 miles i belive doing a 600 mile service on the bike thats only done 117 miles from new is pointless and the checks that needed doing at 600 miles have not been done all the tweaks and adjustments for items that normaly need this work wouldnt be apparent and now i have the bike after being told by seller it had one previous owner but in truth has had several as dictated on the log book. i have not been told the truth about my bike.So what you are saying is you would do 600 mile service on a bike thats only done 117 miles and yet you need to travel at least 600 miles before adjustments are needed as per manufacture recomendations which makes 117 mile service void i know exactly what the problem is with bike the steering pinch bolt that needed adjustment at 600 miles that was very important had not been done and i have purchased an unsafe unroadworthy bike and my only recourse is to moan at seller who should of picked up problem when the previous owner traded in this bike for something else i feel the the buyer of my bike should of checked service sheets from fowlers and being a reputable company picked up the discrepensies in the paperwork i have one job sheet with my reg on and a different ZAPAM number to my bike and me being a rider and not a sales person or a mechanic have noticed it is wrong and would of only noticed this because there is problem with bike the first thing i did was check service sheets i no how to check oil and fluids but was told all this was done and replaced prior to the sell and me receiving it and i have only done 128 miles on the bike since receiving it june 21/ 2021 and fluids would not of needed checking.It actually says on vespa service checks at what time things need checking it dosent say that a bike is run in at 117 miles but it dose say at 600 miles the first service is required not before and not loads of miles after but it is essentialy run in at 600 things have had time to settle in then and would not of at 117 miles if the job sheet hadnt said first service on it we wouldnt be talking about it if it just said anuual service that would of also been fine but it says first service as in the 600 mile service which is untrue. i think your answer is riddiculous and what you are saying is a 600 mile service on bike thats only done 117 miles is ok and exceptable. And next service check on vespa is 3000 miles after the 600miles meaning my bike hasnt had any adjustments at required times and everything has worked loose because of this is that correct and acceptable i personaly have bike service every year and when manufacturer says it is required so could be twice a year if mileage is met when service is due i belive in safety and its paramount to me.

Hiya

A service needn't necessarily be done at the correct mileage.  There is nothing wrong with having a service early if a number of months have elapsed!

Lets take a vehicle with a 10000 miles service interval.  Most people would probably do that in a year but you get a lot of older folk who might only do 1000 miles in a year.  So based on what you are saying it would be 10 years before the vehicle is in need of a service!!

Let us take tyres for example.  A tyre could last anything up to 20000 miles depending on how a vehicle is driven but lets look at that tyre on a vehicle that has only done 5000 miles but the vehicle is 10 years old.  It will have excellent tread however the rubber perishes and so would be unsafe.

It is for that reason that services are bought forward to an Annual Service rather than a Mileage based service!

When it comes to used vehicles every dealer has a set routine.  Most of them carry out a full inspection of the vehicle.  If a service is due then this is also carried out at the same time..  I don't know what this 52 point checklist covered but it sounds like (being a 52 point check) that it would cover all of the items checked on a service.

These inspections are time of test.  You have already admitted to travelling 128 miles.  That's 128 miles of usage.  Tyres can lose pressure, brakes will be used and show some signs of wear, lights will be used and you may end up with blown bulbs and things might need adjustment due to the type of usage it has had!

When the vehicle is checked prior to a sale no one can predict what will happen to it in 100 miles or 200 miles or 10000 miles!  It's up to you, the driver, to notice that there is a problem and take your vehicle back to the dealer to have the problem inspected and rectified!

All Dealers and Garages involved will have records to prove what has been done.  If you believe a dealer has failed then it is up to you to seek advice from a solicitor to pursue your claim of negligence.  Just Answer also have a team of legal experts available who may be able to help you if you submit a request to the legal team.

Phillip

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
50 POINT VEHICLE INSPECTION THE 50 INSPECTION POINTS INCLUDE:• Engine (oil level, leaks, oil condition, mounting)
• Cranking system (initial voltage, cranking RPM, cranking volts)
• Charging system (current leakage, charging rate, diode pattern)
• Ignition system (function, dwell)
• Timing system (initial timing, advance timing, centrifugal)
• Ignition secondary
• Cylinder balance
• Fuel system (idle mixture, cruise mixture)
• Vacuum
• Battery terminals and cables
• Fuel filter (transparent type)
• Radiator, Hoses and Caps
• Battery
• Cooling System
• Air Cleaner
• Spark plugs
• Contact point/module
• Air conditioning
• Windscreen washer
• Windscreen wipers
• Lighting system
• Drive belts (condition, function)
• Steering (oil level, leaks, oil condition)
• Brake/Clutch (fluid level, leaks, fluid condition)
• Front fuel lines
• Front Brake lines
• Trunk lid (condition, sealing)
• Doors (function, sealing)
• Windows (function, sealing)
• Tyres
• Tyre pressure
• Rear fuel lines
• Rear brake lines
• Hand brake linkage and cable
• Exhaust system
• Shock absorber
• Steering linkage
• Propeller shaft and Universal joint
• Transmission (leaks, oil level, oil condition)
• Rear axle (leaks, oil level, oil condition)
• Under carriage
• Engine (starting characteristics, acceleration)
• Clutch (clearance, function)
• Hand brake (function, adjustment)
• Foot brake (pedal lash)
• Transmission gear shift
• Drive shaft
• Steering (operation, center position, free play, straight position)
• Dash board panel gauges
• Safety belts

Hiya

So there it is in front of you.  The bike has been checked!  Steering / Suspension all checked!

All you need to do is take it to the dealer and have any necessary investigation and repairs carried out (hopefully under the Used Vehicle Warranty).

Phillip

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
you are still missing my point the pinch steering locking nut has not been checked at first service as stated by vespa manufacturer at 600 miles or 1000 km it was obviously loose as this is major fault on vespas so i was driving a defective bike without knowing and now the problem is dangerously apparent it actually makes sense that what i am saying about it not being checked is totaly true. The dealer is collecting bike tomorrow to fix but that dosent help with the falsified job sheets i have which were given to dealer by previous owner its my bike but wrong regestration printed on form but written in below in biro wrong ZAPAM chassis number actual reg number printed is unknown on gov.uk find my bike

Hiya

Well in which case you need to contact a solicitor .  With the Pre Sales Checks that have been done however I don't think you have a leg to stand on!

Phillip

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
all sorted thanks dealer apologised and said the steering head locking nut hadnt been checked at 600 mile First service dealer picked bike up monday did the work and dropped it back to me wednesday ive been down to weymouth on it and it now drives perfect

Hiya

Glad you have got it sorted.

Phillip