Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

my father is 83 and has been suffering from acute pain down

my father is 83 and has been suffering from acute pain down his legs, mostly right, for quite some time. He had an MRI scan privately recently which showed a herniated disc at L3 and L4 of his spine, as well as mild degenerative stuff.

Painkillers prescribed by his GP have not relieved pain at all.

Is there any possibility he would be able to have surgery or would he be safer to be helped by a Pain Management Clinic

Doctor-Bob :

It is typically the case that a patient in your dad's situation work with a pain management team to try to get control of his pain. Often, a multipronged approach utilizing the specialization of several different disciplines is able to minimize pain and maximize functionality. Surgery is usually the court of last resort as the risks can be high.

Customer:

what disciplines are usually required

Doctor-Bob :

Internal medicine, anesthesiology, psychiatry, physical therapy, and pharmacy.

Customer:

would any of these require being of good health generally or could he be helped regardless of any other problems. My mum (his wife) dad in December past and he is quite emotional at times.

Doctor-Bob :

Having a team of specialists and working with a physical therapist can be very helpful both physically and psychologically.