healthydoc
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
55821379

I suffer from tension headaches, mostly in the morning. This

I suffer from tension headaches, mostly in the morning. This has been going on for over 6 months now. As I was taken Amlodipine for high blood pressure, it was suggested that maybe it's their side effect. But even after changing to Losartan nothing has changed, Initially I was prescribed Ramipril. I am 49 y.o. and my blood pressure is over 145 most days, so I need to take medicine to keep it down. Besides, now I am not sure that headaches because of my tablets. I had had full head scan, which apprantely shown nothing. However, I noticed that my concentration level is very low. I work as interpreter and for the first time in my carrier my appointment was terminated, because I simply could not remember or grasp information.
Could you please advise me who should I see or what should I do, but I cannot carry on like that. I put up with headaches, but I cannot loose my job on top of this.

healthydoc :

Hello and thank you for your question.

healthydoc :

How is your sleeping cycle?

healthydoc :

Do you feel rested in the morning after you wake up?

Customer:

Not always.

healthydoc :

okay.One of the main reason of experiencing lack of concentration is due to not getting enough sleep.

Customer:

I do have enough sleep.

healthydoc :

Moreover if you have muscle tension headaches you need a muscle relaxant like flexiril.

healthydoc :

Do you snore?

Customer:

yes, I do snore. not always though. what is flexiril?

healthydoc :

The reason you have muscle tension headache in the mornings is due to either insomnia or hypersomnia.

Customer:

hypersomnia means too much sleep?

healthydoc :

Felxiril is a muscle relaxant which will help to relax your muscles and would prevent the muscle tension in the morning.

healthydoc :

yes

Customer:

is it medicine? can I buy it over the counter?

healthydoc :

Yes it is a medicine and it is a prescription medication.

Customer:

i am not sure I have too much sleep either. generally it's 8 hours. however I must admit, that I tend to sleep on my belly with my face in the pillow, I try not to do it, but this is most comfortable for me and I tend to do it while asleep or in order to fall asleep.

healthydoc :

so when you sleep that way you do not get enough oxygen and that can cause muscle stiffness thus giving you tension headaches.

healthydoc :

Try changing positions. Apply moist heat to your neck and head before going to sleep that can help to relax the muscles.

Customer:

I wrote a note about the medicine, will try to get the prescription for it. what about vitamins, can they help? which ones?

healthydoc :

As you are getting in mornings it is related to your sleep patterns.

healthydoc :

Vitamins may not help as you do not have numbness and tingling but just muscle tension.

healthydoc :

Good sleeping position can ease the tension and moist heat.

Customer:

In fact I do have numbness and tingling, I just forgot to mention it

healthydoc :

You can take vitamin B12.

healthydoc :

If you have no further questions than please rate my answer positively. Thank You.

Customer:

ok

healthydoc :

Please rate my answer positively if you have no further questions. Thank you.