How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMD Your Own Question
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 65671
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
DrRussMD is online now

About 3 yrs ago I had several months when I would get for several

Customer Question

About 3 yrs ago I had several months when I would get for several seconds a strange sensation in my head like a weird song - it then stopped completely but has recently come back - about four times six weeks ago, same four weeks ago then again now? Please advise if I need to get it checked or if there is anything one can take to prevent it
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 5 years ago.
This is Dr. David

this does not sound like something serious.

when you are severely congested, your hears can hear the world differently and you can hear through bone conduction instead of air conduction.

I am more worried about your blocked left nostsril and if you need to have a sinus CT scan and to see an ENT doctor.

it is normal to sometimes have songs run through your head

I would get your sinuses checked out first to see if there is anything that can be done with that. clearing your sinus problems might prevent this issue for you.

let me know if you have other questions
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 5 years ago.
Hello from JA
It is not normal to hear an actual sound in your head that is like a song...

You need a full workup here
Inner ear problems are possible
Brain problems are possible.
Other problems such as TMJ, cervical spine disease and anxiety can also cause this.
Psychiatric problems can also do it.

I would see your primary care doctor first, define what this is likely to be, then either ENT or neurology or psychology.
OK. If you have further questions or details, use reply to expert.
Otherwise please choose a positive rating]. But, still come back if you need to…think of something later, etc. Bonuses are appreciated.