healthydoc
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
55821379

My wife is 54 and has been suffering with tenderness around

My wife is 54 and has been suffering with tenderness around her right temple area since Oct. Initially diagnosed as temporal arteritis, infection markers 88 and treated with steroids. Biopsy produced negative result. She feel unbalanced arthritis specialist organised lumberpuncture result negative. Echo scan revealed prolapsed and leaking heart values. Pet scan recently done result negative, ct and mri scan haven't revealed anything of concern. She doesn't know whats causing the symptoms she has now referred my wife to neurology and we have seen a trainee neurologist who was baffled. There only answer is the pain management clinic they acknowledge they don't know whats causing her condition. My wife describes a burning and tingling delicate feeling on her right temple extending down to her ear lobe she says it feels like somethings pulling like an elastic band stretching she has lost her sense of taste. Her left hand shakes when stressful situations evolve. Sometimes she feels like her body vers over to the right like being unbalanced on a ferry. Can you advise if this is likely to be a neurological condition, what it may be and who and where we should seek out experts in this field.

healthydoc :

Hello and thank you for your question.

healthydoc :

The burning pain and tingling radiating to temple to the ear is certainly related to neuropathic pain.

healthydoc :

Cause of this can be due to inner ear infection or stress that can aggravate these symptoms.

healthydoc :

She may need to see a good neurologist who can evaluate her by checking her trigeminal nerve reflexes.

healthydoc :

EMG nerve conduction test is another test to evaluate which nerve is affected.

healthydoc :

Please get back to me if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Please rate my answer positively if you have no further questions. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can you explain what a trigeminal nerve reflex tests consists of

Likewise a emg nerve conduction test

Is the condition you have described treatable

Kind regards Nigel

An electromyogram (EMG) measures the electrical activity of muscles at rest and during contraction. Nerve conduction studies measure how well and how fast the nerves can send electrical signals. So it will help to detect if the nerve is irritated or damaged. Trigeminal nerve involves the facial nerve so her neurologist would perform a test on her face by touching to see the reflex of the nerve. Yes it is treatable if she gets evaluated for trigeminal neuralgia. Usually medication like Lyrica is prescribed to ease the pain .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thankyou for your informative reply, I wish you were her consultant! Kind regards Nigel