healthydoc
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
55821379

My Lady is 51 with Type 1 diabetes on an insulin pump. A few

My Lady is 51 with Type 1 diabetes on an insulin pump. A few days ago she suddenly felt "funny as if she was having a Hypo; however her blood was normal (7.3, then went to 9). She felt "spaced out" similar to Hypo but spoke clearly; body felt a little "heavy" but had good movement. No typical stroke signs. Eyes looked large like she was trying to comprehend her surroundings. She was Not dizzy. Blood pressure a bit high at 165/100. Went to A&E. Blood tests normal - EKG normal- Chest XRay normal. She is on Warfarin several years due to a DVT about 15 years ago. Warfarin level was just checked a couple of days before the episode and was at the proper level. Hospital suggested possible dehydration. She has recovered from the episode after 3 days (similar to hypo recovery)

She also has autunomic neuropathy and as a result is in a wheel chair.

Appreciate your thoughts. Bob

healthydoc :

Hello and thank you for your question.

healthydoc :

Was she sweating?

healthydoc :

Did she have heart palpitations?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello Doc, - No sweating, no heart papitations. EKG was fine. This happened on Tuesday evening. She is now OK and has recovered from the hypo like symptom.

Bob

It is possible that she might have hypoglycemia attack and it can be due to dehydration. However I would also suggest to ask her doctor if he thinks that she had a seizure activity or not. It is not like stroke related but if the symptoms recovered in few minutes to hours than it can be Transient Ischemic Attack or TIA.

Please get back to me if you have any further questions. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Symptoms took 3 days to totally subside- just as they do in a regular Hypo. She was totally coherent and speech was good throughout the episode and at hospital. Hospital A&E did not think heart related or anything sinister.

Bob

Okay. if it took 3 days than it is related to hypoglycemia as everything was ruled out. Hypoglycemia may also result if, after taking your diabetes medication, you don't eat as much as usual (ingesting less glucose) To prevent this from happening, it's likely that your doctor will work with her to find the optimum dosage that fits her regular eating and activity habits.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you Doc- much appreciated. A relief to know not related to heart or brain. I was also concerned about cerebrial hypoxia possibility.

We will follow up with GP.

Many Thanks

Bob

You're welcome. No not likely in her case. Cerebral hypoxia refers to a condition in which there is a decrease of oxygen supply to the brain even though there is adequate blood flow. As she had these symptoms for three days and if it was Cerebral hypoxia than she would be in coma. Symptoms of mild cerebral hypoxia include inattentiveness, poor judgment, memory loss, and a decrease in motor coordination. Brain cells are extremely sensitive to oxygen deprivation and can begin to die within five minutes after oxygen supply has been cut off. When hypoxia lasts for longer periods of time, it can cause coma, seizures, and even brain death.