healthydoc
healthydoc, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified U.S. Neurologist
55821379

Occasionally , I think it is when I am catching a virus, I

Occasionally , I think it is when I am catching a virus, I am woken everytime I sart to drop off to sleep. A cold shiver seems to travel up my spinal chord to my head and wakes me with a jolt. Last night it was particularly bad and I must have been woken six or seven times before I managed to drop off to sleep.I feel unwell today. I am concerned because I am booked in for surgery, a thyroidectomy , on Wednesday. Is this of significance?

Customer:

Hello and thank you for your question.

Customer:

Feeling a cold shiver is a sign of your body trying to fight with an infection.

Customer:

So most likely you have viral infection that your body is trying to fight off.

Customer:

As you have surgery scheduled wednesday you should talk to your surgeon if it is okay to go ahead with the surgery.

Customer:

Rest and drink plenty of fluids to recover faster. If you have fever and cold than post pone the surgery if not than surgery can be done on wednesday.

Customer:

Please get back to me if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So should surgery only be postponed if I have a fever, not just for a cold?

yes if you have fever than post pone the surgery and if you have cold it would not matter but need to consult your surgeon as each doctor has it's own protocol.