How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask tazechip Your Own Question
tazechip, Board Certified MD
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 36076
Experience:  Board certified in Critical Care Medicine
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
tazechip is online now

I am currently travelling India and on Monday was admitted

This answer was rated:

I am currently travelling India and on Monday was admitted to hospital to have a bartholins absess drained - I was given an epidural and the operation lasted for 30 - 40 minuets. I was given the green light to check out of the hospital the next day and
was told by the doctor that I was safe to fly back to my country to heal and seek further care. I subsequently booked a first class (so that I can go the journey in comfort and laying down) flight for this coming Monday (a week after the operation). I have
now developed a severe headache that affects me most when I sit or stand up - and I have relief from when I lay down. I believe this to be a post dural puncture headache, and am going back to the hospital to have this confirmed today. I have been very disappointed
with my hospital and doctor care here, it has all been quite traumatic and do not want to stay in India - I very much want to go back to the UK. But now with this PDPC I no longer know if it is safe to fly on Monday? Please advise me.
Hi and sorry for the delay. At this point it really isn't safe for you to fly until you've been evaluated for a possible dural leak since if that's the case you'll need to have it plugged with an autologous clot of your own blood and give that time to seal the leak
Let me know if you need more information please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear Dr Chip,
Many thanks for your response.
I am heading to Delhi today to visit another hospital which is considered to have a much better standard or care than where I have currently been. Would you be able to recommend me the type of specialust I need to see in order to have this evaluated? Is it a neurologist? Anaethiatist? Or gynecologist seeing as my original complaint was the bartholins abcess? Many thanks. And if I am given a blood patch - how long would I need to wait before I can fly safely?
Many thanks,
You would need to see a neurosurgeon or a neurologist
I would say you can safely fly by the beginning of the week--Monday
tazechip and other Neurology Specialists are ready to help you