How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Bob Your Own Question
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 5658
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. Bob is online now

Hope you can help my sisters husband is in hospital at present. About a month ago he

Customer Question

Hope you can help my sisters husband is in hospital at present. About a month ago he hurt his achilles tendon but did not go docs with it for a few weeks. Since then he started getting numbness in his hands and feet, his one hand swelled up and was very sore and itchy but then swelling disapeared. He then developed painin legs and muscles generally fatigued. He is now in hospital with no feeling in his feet and hands and blackish speckles on his fingers and in dreadful pain. He has had a ct scan and that came back clear for heart, cancer etc. please, please can you shed some light.
kind regards
alison firth
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alison. Is your sister's husband a smoker? Has he been on any meds for any reason prior to this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He has given up smoking a few years ago, he wasn't a heavy smoker but he now uses one of those e. cigarettes. He is on statins for his high cholestrol. but a very fit sporty, not over weight man.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
There are a few potentially serious conditions that can cause these types of symptoms. One would be an infection in the bloodstream (sepsis) or on one of the valves of the heart (endocarditis). Another would be a rheumatologic condition that is hitting his joints, muscles or blood vessels (arteritis). In spite of the normal CT scan, he should have a cardiac work up (e.g. echocardiogram) and a rheumatology work up (e.g. blood tests such as CRP, ESR for starters). If his doctors aren't sure what is going on, they can have a cardiologist and a rheumatologist evaluate him right away.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alison. How's your husband doing? Did he get a diagnosis?Let me know if you need further assistance. God bless.